very important

  • fady rofaiel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27 4:22 PM
      dear members
      am very interested in the book of our lord
      but some body told me that the transelation of the old
      testment ( idon't remember its name in english)
      but semon the one who carried our lord and said now
      our lord you send your slave free. participated in
      writting it
      if any body has this transelation in english please
      send it to mee
      i need it very much
      god pless you all

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Philip Silouan Thompson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27 8:32 PM
        Dear Fady Rofaiel,

        There is a tradition in the Orthodox Church that the Elder Simeon was
        one of the 72 translators of the Jewish Bible from Hebrew into Greek.
        The story is that he was unwilling to translate Isaiah 7:14 as "a
        virgin" so God made him live until the promise was fulfilled. 200 years
        later, he held the baby Jesus, and prayed the prayer you mentioned: "Now
        You are letting Your servant depart in peace, for my eyes have seen Your
        salvation: A light to the nations and the glory of Your people Israel."
        Outside the Orthodox Church that tradition is probably not taken
        seriously but that's okay.

        The translation you're talking about is called the "Septuagint" (Latin
        for "seventy" because 72 men translated it). It's too big to email it to
        you, but you can download it in Greek or in other languages from
        http://students.cua.edu/16kalvesmaki/lxx/Texts.htm There's also a lot
        more information on that website about the Septuagint.

        Hope that's helpful!

        Reader Silouan Thompson
        Wala Walla, Washington