Need assistance

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 2005
      Hello All:

      Have a quick question. In the Book of the Prophet Ambakoum Chapter 3 verse 5 has the phrase  "åἰò ðáéäåίáí" as its listed in the LXX text published by the Zoe Brotherhood with two alternate phrases.

      I have translated  "åἰò ðáéäåίáí" as "as instruction". I wanted to ofer this to the group just to make sure that I am correct. If not, I am sure I will be corrected. Thank you all for your time.

      Peter

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Matthew Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2005
        --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Peter Papoutsis <papoutsis1@y...> wrote:
        > Hello All:
        >
        > Have a quick question. In the Book of the Prophet Ambakoum Chapter 3
        verse 5 has the phrase "åἰò ðáéäåίáí" as its listed in
        the LXX text published by the Zoe Brotherhood with two alternate phrases.

        As I write this reply, I cannot read the Greek font characters, even
        though they came through fine in the version of your post that came in
        my email in the group digest! Another reason to avoid real Greek
        characters in HTML, I guess.

        > I have translated "åἰò ðáéäåίáí" as "as instruction". I
        wanted to ofer this to the group just to make sure that I am correct.
        If not, I am sure I will be corrected. Thank you all for your time.

        You need to give us more context to get a good answer. For this word
        PAIDEIA occurs in the Rahlfs text only once in this book, in Hab 1:12.
        So you are obviously talking about a variant.

        But without the context, it is hard for us to say whether "as
        instruction", "for instruction" or even "for punishment" is correct.
        And the variants could have a major effect on that context.

        So please give us the whole sentence with variant reading (variation
        unit) you are interpreting.