36 Chapters in LXX Proverbs?

  • Trudey Santos
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30 5:09 PM
      I went to the website below and connected to the Proverbs page. It
      shows Proverbs with Chapters 1-24 and Chapters 30-36 immediately
      following. This does make a total of 31 but is this just an editing
      error or were there five other chapters to LXX Proverbs at some stage?

      Trudey Santos

      Message: 2
      Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 21:11:57 EDT
      From: revdpickrel@...
      Subject: Re: Database

      http://www.spindleworks.com/septuagint/septuagint.htm

      Rev. Doug Pickrel
      Tejas Valley
      San Antonio, Texas
    • Steve Puluka
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31 3:30 AM

        Trudey Santos wrote:
        > I went to the website below and connected to the Proverbs page. It
        > shows Proverbs with Chapters 1-24 and Chapters 30-36 immediately
        > following. This does make a total of 31 but is this just an editing
        > error or were there five other chapters to LXX Proverbs at some
        > stage?

        I have not used this site, but I would guess this to be a unique way to
        deal with the verse order issue of the MT versus the LXX. After chapter
        24 the LXX order of the verses varies from that presented in the MT.
        The content is basically the same, with some expansions in the LXX, but
        presented in a different order. I guess the software in this database
        needs the chapters to be sequential, but the programmer does not want to
        mislead the reader by using the MT numbers for different verse texts.

        I wonder how they handle Jerimiah?

        For a summary of the proverbs versus MT order of verses see pages 125-27 in:

        Washington, Harold C. Wealth and poverty in the Instruction of Amenemope
        and the Hebrew Proverbs. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1994.

        --
        Steve Puluka
        Masters Student, SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31 12:45 PM
          In a message dated 5/30/2005 7:09:35 PM Central Daylight Time, santry@... writes:

          I went to the website below and connected to the Proverbs page.  It
          shows Proverbs with Chapters 1-24 and Chapters 30-36 immediately
          following.  This does make a total of 31 but is this just an editing
          error or were there five other chapters to LXX Proverbs at some stage?

          Trudey Santos

          Hi Trudey,

          I am using a hard copy of the Septuagint, Tenth printing September 2003, with English translation by Brenton.  I checked out Proverbs and just like online Septuagint it skips from Chapter 24 to Chapter 30????  Footnotes say that verses are intermingled  The NIV Interduction credits other writers for these odd Chapters other than Solomon; Writers such as Agur, King Lemuel and writers with non-Israelite background.

          Rev. Doug Pickrel
          Tejas Valley
          San Antonio, Texas