Re: [lxx] Fwd: Fw: VERY IMPORTANT

  • perfect0223@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25 7:02 PM
      This message we received is a hoax.  Here is the info from www.snopes.com.  Whenever you get an email like this one, just go to snopes, the urban legends website, to verify.  They are pretty accurate.  As you can see, this particular one has been around for 4 years.
      Marianna
      Virus name:   WTC Survivor

      Examples:   [Collected on the Internet, 2001]

      (FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTER......WHICH MAKES THIS VIRUS REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY.....THINKING ITS A STORY RELATING TO 9/11.....PLEASE BE CAREFUL....... :)

      BIGGGG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer! Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all.

      If you receive an email called "WTC Survivor" do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer. This is a serious one.

      During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or launching any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or 9/11 in any way, regardless of who sent it. PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW, "WTC" STANDS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTER. REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY, THINKING ITS A STORY RELATING TO 9/11!

      BIGGGG TROUBLE !!!! DO NOT OPEN "WTC Survivor" It is a virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat, a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it. He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer!

      So, if you receive an email called "WTC Survivor", do not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files) from your computer.

      Origins:   Quick on the heels of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center came the "WTC Survivor" virus hoax. This one was a hoax from the very beginning; there was never a rash of disabled computers or deleted DLL files caused by e-mail messages bearing the title "WTC Survivor." Nevertheless, this hoax continues to circulate with increasing frequency as the calendar approaches September 11 every year, making a comeback in 2002 and again in 2003.

      In early 2004 a version appeared that concluded with the bare-faced assertion, "PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE! THIS MESSAGE CHECKED OUT ON SNOPES AND IS OKAY." Actually, e-mail tagline to the contrary, the WTC Survivor virus is every bit as much a hoax as it always was. Still, it's flattering the hoaxers think so highly of our site that they look to invoke its name when trying pull people's legs.

      Additional information:

          WTC SurvivorWTC Survivor
      (Symantec Security Response)
          WTC SurvivorWTC Survivor
      (McAfee Virus Information Library)

      Last updated:   26 March 2004

      The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/wtc.htm
      Click here to e-mail this page to a friend

      Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2004
      by Barbara and David P. Mikkelson
      This m