Psalter LXX

  • Mickhail Matta
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2005

      Kind Gmen.

      I am most interested in the Greek translation of the Psalms. I would like to know if any of you knows about a study �even an old one- of the Hebrew text that was probably at the basis of the translation of the LXX. Many commentaries of the Psalms include attempts to reconstruct the text when it differs from the Masoretic one, but they are often occasional passages, and usually transliterated into Latin characters. I would like to know if there has been an attempt to reconstruct the text in its entirety, or at least, if there is a commentary that deals with the passages that feature differences with the Masoretic text, with the Hebrew written in Hebrew characters �vocals included- and not transliterated.
      Thanks

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Sara and/or Aaron
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2005
        Hi, Mickhail.
        Just wanted to let you know we're not all "Gmen."
        Sometimes "Gwomen" do LXX research too.
        ;) Sara

        > From: Mickhail Matta <mickhail_matta@...>
        > Subject: Psalter LXX
        > Kind Gmen.
        > I am most interested in the Greek translation of the
        > Psalms...

      • Tyler Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2005
          One of the few studies that systematically went through all of the Psalter and comments on the Greek text (esp where it differs from the Hebrew) is Mozley, F. W. The Psalter of the Church. The Septuagint Psalms Compared with the Hebrew, with Various Notes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1905.

          There is also an excellent study of the LXX translation in a series of articles: Flashar, M. "Exegetische Studien Zum Septuagintapsalter." ZAW 32 (1912): 81-117, 61-89, 241-68.

          Also, Brigg's commentary has quite a bit of interaction with the Greek text: Briggs, C. A., and E. G. Briggs. A Commentary on the Book of Psalms. 2 vols, Icc. Edinburgh: T & T Clark, 1910.

          Hope this helps,

          - Tyler

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 29, 2005
            Dear Mikhail,

            If you have access to patrologia latina vol 29 contains the
            following which may interest you:

            Vol. 29
            Main volume text
            [OPERA OMNIA HIERONYMI.]
            S. EUSEBII HIERONYMI, STRIDONENSIS PRESBYTERI DIVINAE BIBLIOTHECAE
            PARS SECUNDA; Complectens aliquot libros qui in Hebraeorum Canone
            non habentur, vel qui in Hebraeo Canone quidem habiti, iterum tamen
            e textu Graeco Septuaginta versi sunt. POSTREMUS ORDO V. TESTAMENTI.
            Hieronymus Stridonensis: [LIBER PSALMORUM.]

            In addition this site:

            http://www.ccel.org/ccel/swete/greekot.i.html

            With best regards,

            Malcolm