Psalms

  • Andrea Nicolotti
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
      I would like to know your opinion on the correct translation of the psalm
      9,4; it has an accusative that I cannot understand well:

      "When my enemy is turned back, they shall be feeble and perish at thy
      presence"
      or:
      "When my enemy turns back, etc"
      or:
      "When God turns back my enemy, etc."

      Which meaning? Why this strange construction?

      Thanks
      Andrea
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2005
        Pietersma's new translation (Oxford 2000) has:

        "When my enemy turns back, they shall grow weak ...."

        The construction seems to be a "normal" accusative-with-infinitive in a temporal
        clause -- interlinearally "in the to-turn-back-my-enemy to the rear ..." (The
        infinitive is active, not passive.)

        Similar constructions abound: see
        4.2 and 4, 9.23 and 30-31, 13.7, ... 63.2, 67.8 and 15, 70.9, 75.10, ETC.
        The subject of the infinitive is normally in the accusative following the
        infinitive. For further examples and constructions, search the morphological files
        for Psalms:

        http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxmorph/28.Psalms1.mlxx
        http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/lxxmorph/29.Psalms2.mlxx

        RAK