Fw: Secuence of books in the LXX Manuscripts

  • mwinedt
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2004

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: MWinedt
      Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 9:08 AM
      Subject: Secuence of books in the LXX Manuscripts

      Dear all,

      I just joined this group and would like to ask a question to those who are more knowledgeable than me on the subject.

      When we look at the different translations and editions of  with the Deutero-canonical books in the Roman Catholic church (e.g. Jerusalem Bible, La Biblia America Latina), we see that we have different sequences of  these books when they are spread among the proto-canon. The council of  Trent has one order, but  modern Catholic Bibles have different variations (for example, 1-2 Macanese is sometimes placed at the end, after the 12 minor prophets and in other cases with the historical books. ) Jerome put the DC/Apocryphal books he chose to translate/include between the NT and the OT. Later redactions of the vulgate have changed this and have been placing them interspersed  like the LXX untill today with the Nova Vulgata.

      My question is: Is there a difference in sequence of  the books in the three main codices containing the ancient Greek OT text (Vaticanus, Alexandrinus and Sinaïticus) or  are they all the same in terms of sequence of  the books. Any other information/bibliography as regards to what we know about the sequence of  the books in the LXX from early church history/ and or Judaism would also be welcome.

      Thank you very much,

      Marlon
    • James Miller
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2004
        On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, mwinedt wrote:

        > My question is: Is there a difference in sequence of the books in the
        three main codices containing the ancient Greek OT text (Vaticanus,
        Alexandrinus and Sinaïticus) or are they all the same in terms of
        sequence of the books. Any other information/bibliography as regards to
        what we know about the sequence of the books in the LXX from early church
        history/ and or Judaism would also be welcome.

        From Sundberg's "The Old Testament of the Early Church" table 2, p 59:

        Vaticanus: Gen, Exod, Lev, Num, Deut, Josh, Judg, Ruth, I-IV Kgdms, I-II
        Chron, I-II Esdras, Ps, Prov, Eccles, Song, Job, Wisd, Sirach, Esther,
        Judt, Tobit, the 12, Isa, Jer, Baruch, Lam, Ep Jer, Ezek, Dan.

        Sinaiticus: Gen, missing, Num, missing, I-II Chron, I-II Esdras, Esther,
        Tobit, Judt, I-II Macc, Isa, Jer, Lam, the 12, Ps, Prov, Eccles, Song,
        Wisd, Sirach, Job.

        Alexandrinus: Gen, Exod, Lev, Num, Deut, Josh, Judg, Ruth, I-IV Kgdms,
        (I-II Chron), the 12, Isa, Jer, Bar, Lam, Ep Jer, Ezek, Dan, Esther,
        Tobit, Judt, I-II Esdras, I-IV Macc, Ps, (Odes), Job, Prov, Eccles, Song,
        Wisd, Sirach, Ps Sol.

        I put I-II Chron in parantheses because Sundberg leaves them out of his
        list--apparently by mistake. I-II Chron are definitely in Codex A.
        Likewise with the Biblical Odes that occur after the Psalms in that same
        codex, and which contain, among excerpts from various books of the canon,
        the Prayer of Mannaseh.