Re: [lxx] Re: Lucifer or Satan?

  • Peter Papoutsis
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 24, 2004
      Dear Group.

      I started this thread so I think I should finish it. I know what Eosophoros means and I have made my notes on this passage. However, I must make it Very Clear, and this is in response to Matthew, to translate Eosophoros as Satan IS NOT a violent departure from literalism because that is what the word means in Greek as well as Lucifer.

      I was ONLY concerned about about this word in Isaiah because the Greek Fathers interpreted this passage in reference to Satan. I must stress that in Greek Christian thought the word has come to mean the Devil. Whether the group likes it or not That what the word has come to mean.

      Now I actually liked what Kevin had to say as keeping the distrinction between Lucifer and Satan, but in Ecclesiastical Greek and in the Katherevousa dialect of Greek, which borrows heavily from both ancient and ecclesiastical Greek Eosophoros does mean Satan. That's how my father taught it to me, that's how my uncle taught it to me, that how Greeks, at least in the old counrty, understood this term.

      My mother, with very little education at the time in Greece in which she lived understood the word as this and, again, taught it to me in this fashion. So please, lets refrain from saying that Satan is a departure from literalism. IT IS NOT!

      Well, that's all I have to say about it. Now go ahead and converse amoung yourselves. I'm out of this.

      Peter

      Peter A. Papoutsis

      Do you Yahoo!?