Re: [lxx] Word "Allah"

  • St. Tikhon's Sem Library
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 23, 2004
      On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 03:37:34 -0700 (PDT), Tony Costa wrote:

      >The Divine Name came into the LXX and NT as "kurios", Lord.

      True. This is not really a rendering of the divine name, of course - it
      is a substitution of one thing for another. But there is one place in
      the NT where the divine name Yahweh is more closely rendered: Joh 8:58
      "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham
      was, I AM." (cf Ex. 3:13-15). This interestingly is reflected in icons
      of Christ which display the words "O WN" ("He who is," "the Existing
      one" etc.) and also in the Orthodox liturgy where certain prayers read
      "Christ our God, the Existing one, is blessed ..." or "He who is,
      Christ our God, is blessed ..." (depending on how you translate it).

      Juvenaly, Asst. Librarian
      St. Patriarch Tikhon Library
      St. Tikhon's Orthodox Theological Seminary
      Box 130 / St Tikhon's Road / So Canaan PA 18459-0130 USA
      570-937-3209, "-3103, or "-4411 ext 21
      fax 570-937-3209; if no answer 570-937-3100
      http://www.stots.edu/library.htm
      library@...
    • Sigrid Peterson
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 23, 2004

        > >Allah *is* specific, and not generic. It is the specificity applied to a single unitary
        > >god that makes the word Allah seem to be a personal name like YHWH (JaHoVaH).
        >
        > Yes, I found that viewpoint expressed at a muslim website about the
        > name Allah. But ... is such a view valid in light of the whole history
        > of the word "Allah"?
        >
        > I mean doesn't the history of it, as others have said, include a
        > generic use?

        Yes. The *derivation* is from a generic Semitic word for god/God/, but as far as I
        know, there's very little evidence that attests such usage in pre-Islamic times.

        > Comments?
        >
        > Juvenaly
        >
        > Juvenaly, Asst. Librarian
        > St. Patriarch Tikhon Library
        > St. Tikhon's Orthodox Theological Seminary
        > Box 130 / St Tikhon's Road / So Canaan PA 18459-0130 USA
        > 570-937-3209, "-3103, or "-4411 ext 21
        > fax 570-937-3209; if no answer 570-937-3100
        > http://www.stots.edu/library.htm
        > library@...

        Sigrid Peterson
        petersig@...