Re: [lxx] Re: Early Inspiration Issues for the LXX

  • cimosa
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6 9:32 AM
      Dear Tim,
      I dont'n know if you can read italian language. I wrote a few years ago an
      article about "inspiration" of the LXX with a rich bibliography I'll give
      you with pleasure rhe indication:
      M.CIMOSA, La traduzione greca dei LXX. Dibattito sull'ispirazione, in
      "Salesianum" XLVI,1 (1984) 3-14.
      If you wish you can read also:
      Ch.PERROT, L'inspiration des Septante et le pouvoir scripturaire, in "Selon
      les Septante". Hommage à Marguerite Harl. Cerf, Paris 1995, 169-183 with
      good bibliography.
      All the best,
      Mario Cimosa

      At 11.01 06/05/00 EDT, you wrote:
      >Dear Colleagues:
      >
      >I have some interest in finding sources that treat the "inspiration" of the
      >LXX. In particular, early church writers up to the time of Augustine are of
      >most interest. I am somewhat familiar with the Augustine-Jerome debate
      >regarding the LXX vs Hebrew Scriptures, but am more interested in Fathers
      >prior to that debate. I would also be interested to know if there are
      >secondary works that treat this issue.
      >
      >Most gratefully,
      >
      >Tim Johnson
      >tjgiant@...

      >You have a voice mail message waiting for you at iHello.com:

      Prof. don Mario Cimosa sdb
      Università Pontificia Salesiana
      Piazza Ateneo Salesiano, 1
      I - 00139 Roma
      Tel. +06/87.290.1/459/642
      Fax +06/87.290.222/556
      cimosa@...
      http://www.ups.urbe.it
    • james and tatiana miller
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6 11:10 AM
        Tim and Mario:

        A different, but related issue. Even if you don't read Italian, with a
        dictionary, a basic knowledge of language principles (not necessarily even
        Italian) and the use of Babelfish's translation site (under the "translate"
        link at Altavista and perhaps via other sites), you CAN read Italian.
        Neither my wife nor I ever studied a minute of Italian in our lives, but we
        produced a rough, working translation of a portion of an introduction
        written in Italian in a surprisingly short time. The translation site gives
        a text box where you type or cut and paste text, select the appropriate
        language pair (in this case Italian to English), and click the "translate"
        button. The computer does about 50% of the work for you. You'll still need
        to rely plenty on plain old brain power and hard work thumbing through
        dictionaries, maybe a grammar book and scrutinizing the context. But it
        will be possible for you to read Mario's article using the Bablefish
        translation site.

        Sincerely, James

      • TJgiant@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 25 8:17 PM
          Mario:
          Thank you so kindly for your assistance. I regret deeply the delay in
          expressing my gratitude.

          Tim Johnson