[lxx] Re: xx] FW: LXX Theology/Theologies

  • LXX Listserv
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2000
      --- Edward Moore <edwardmoore@...> wrote:

      > Will you shut up already!!!

      Dear List Members:

      Our apologies for the recent barrage. We are not sure
      how someone got subscribed to the list without their
      knowing, since, as you will be aware, subscription
      requires a confirmatory response. We are trying to
      determine where the problem lies. But at any rate, it
      seems that the problem may be solved and there should
      be no further barrages from this person. We thank you
      for your patience in this, and any future faupaux.

      Thank you, LXXmoderators
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • james and tatiana miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21 7:21 PM
        Dear Colleagues:

        The following terminological convention is followed in Jellicoe's
        "Septuagint and Modern Study":

        1. "version" = translations of the biblical text (from LXX, presumably)
        into other languages. E.g., he lists the Syriac, Old Latin, Coptic,
        Slavonic, Samaritan Pentateuch (! with a qualification, of course) etc.
        under the "versions."

        2. "revisions" = basically, the columns in Origen's Hexapla - minus the
        Hebrew, transliterated Hebrew and Origen's LXX. In other words, Aquila,
        Theodotion and Symmachus.

        3. "recensions" = the "3 varieties" (excuse my Latin) mentioned by Jerome,
        i.e., Origen's (sometimes called "Hexaplaric"), Hesychius' and Lucian's.

        My question is: how widespread is this terminological convention? Will
        anyone in LXX studies understand, when they hear the term "version" what
        Jellicoe subsumes under that term? Likewise with the terms "recension" and
        "revision"? Are there other conventions which would define these terms
        differently? It seems to me to be important to understand and use this
        terminology consistently and correctly. Feedback of any kind will be
        appreciated.

        Thanks, James