726Re: gloss vs scholium

  • Larry J. Swain
    Oct 1, 2003
      I have to disagree with Joel here, though I'm coming at this from a
      wider viewpoint, not just patristic treatments of biblical texts in
      situ.

      A gloss is ANY elucidatory addition to the text written on a leaf: it
      may be lexical, grammatical, explanatory, exegetical, paraphrase (a
      type of explanation really), or translation into another language.

      A "scholium" is a subtype of gloss that cites authoritative writers
      on a particular passage of the text in order to explain or interpret
      the passage.

      Either may occur and do occur in margins or interlinearly, and
      sometimes both, or two different sets of glossing: one interlinear,
      one in margins etc.

      Thus, the Glossa Ordinaria, as an example, is an extended gloss on
      the biblical text(s) that consists almost entirely of scholia.

      Since a scholium is a type of gloss, the two terms appear to be used
      interchangeably in the literature we read, a scholium is a gloss.
      But a gloss is not necessarily a scholium.

      As for James question, scholia in ancient Greek and Latin texts
      appear in various forms. I seem to recall running across one in the
      Duke archive for Homer in which the scholia was on the reverse side
      of the Homeric text, but there are others that are more helpful by
      being placed in margins. As the scholia tradition grows, one needs
      more room to fit them all in, and so it spills into the bottom and
      top margins, or sometimes might even be continued from the previous
      page. I'm sure Bob can tell us more about the Greek practice.

      I haven't done this yet, but we might want to utilize the Duke or
      Michigan archives, and search for "scholia" and see what images pop
      up. I might have time to do this later today.

      Thanks for the images Joel!

      Larry Swain

      --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Joel Kalvesmaki <16kalvesmaki@c...> wrote:
      > Dear James and listmembers,
      >
      > The "scholium" is pretty much a commentary, but usually refers to
      comments
      > written in the margin, or between the lines, of the text in
      question. The
      > "gloss" is taken usually to be a paraphrase of a text. There's a
      concise
      > explanation with examples in the Oxford Classical Dictionary, 3d
      ed., s.v.
      > "scholia."
      >
      > In Oxford this summer, at the International Patristics Conference,
      I attended
      > a session devoted to Evagrius of Pontus, a manuscript folio of
      whose seminal
      > Scholia on the Psalms was presented in facsimile form. Like the
      Rabbinic
      > commentaries, the text of Scripture was in a large hand, placed in
      the inset
      > of the page, while comments (i.e., scholia) from Evagrius and other
      ancient
      > Christian writers was placed in the L-shaped margin of the Psalms
      text. My
      > guess is that this is rather common, especially for the catenae of
      the 8th c.
      > and following. I would enjoy reading other people's knowledge of
      the
      > appearance and character of LXX scholia. Was the juxtaposition
      something
      > original to the later catenists, or to the early authors themselves?
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > jk
      >

      > >===== Original Message From James Miller <jamtat@m...> =====
      > >This question is marginally septuagintal, but may qualify at least
      insofar
      > >as glosses or scholia are often based on the LXX text. So, here
      goes. In
      > >terms of patristic treaments of scriptural texts, what, if any,
      are the
      > >differences between a "gloss" and a "scholium"? I think of a
      gloss as
      > >more cursory and brief (and maybe superficial) than a scholium.
      At the

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > Joel D Kalvesmaki
      > Graduate Student, Early Christian Studies
      > CUA, Washington, D.C.
      > http://students.cua.edu/16kalvesmaki/
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic