52[lxx] Re: LXX of the Orthodox Church

  • dkuc076@aix2.uottawa.ca
    Oct 7, 1999
      Dear Steve Puluka,

      I would just like to comment on something you wrote. You mentioned
      twice that "much of" the Slavonic translation of the LXX was based on the
      Vulgate.

      I would like to point out that the version you are referring to is
      known as "The Ostroh Bible" which is a complete translation of the entire
      Bible (at least as it was known to the Slavs of the 16th century). If I'm
      not mistaken, it was the first major work to be printed in Church
      Slavonic. It was reprinted by St. Vladimir's College (Winnipeg, MA) in
      honor of the millenium of Christianity in the lands of the Kievan
      tradition. This text, however, is less than practical: it is an extremely
      large and heavy tome and, since the it is merely a reprint, the Slavonic
      print is very difficult to read (lacking the crispness found in modern
      books, such as the liturgical books published by Rome).

      In the 18th century (I think), the Slavonic Bible was revised and
      republished. This "corrected" and "updated" edition is known as the
      Elizabethan Bible. One of the most salient features of this revision is
      that the editors retranslated those books that were based on the Vulgate
      in the Ostroh version (in the main, these were the deuterocanonicals). In
      fact, at the end of each of these books, there is a note stating that they
      were retranslated "according to the Alexandrian version".

      So, the whole point of this rather long-winded excursus is to
      explain that it is incorrect to say that "much of" the Slavonic version is
      based on the Vulgate. First of all, it was really only a few of the
      deuterocanonicals; secondly, the "modern" Slavonic version (if anything in
      Slavonic can be considered "modern") has corrected this inconsistency.

      Incidentally, the Elizabethan Bible published in 1905 continues to
      be reprinted in St. Petersburg in a very handsome and readable edition
      which includes lists of all the OT and NT readings prescribed throughout
      the church year. I believe it is available from the United Bible
      Societies.

      --DK