4050Re: [LXX] Book of Odes

  • James Miller
    Jun 27, 2014
      Like many other biblical scholars, I think you might be under a
      misimpression about what the Biblical Odes are, Barry. To reiterate, they
      are excerpts from biblical and/or deuterocanonical books that were used in
      Christian worship--perhaps hymnically--the excerpts being gathered
      together into a sort of little "hymnal." An example of one of the Biblical
      Odes would be chapter 32 of Deuteronomy, for example, or the Prayer of
      Manasseh. In later times, that "hymnal" is found appended to many Psalms
      manuscripts. So there is really no question about authorship with respect
      to the Biblical Odes--the author is, ultimately, the author of the book of
      Deuteronomy or the Prayer of Manasseh--though one might venture to ask who
      first selected or compiled these hymnic excerpts. If we're asking whether
      the copyist of one or another Biblical Odes exemplar might have been a
      female, I suppose that is possible, though I have no idea how the
      proposition might be supported or refuted.

      Since you mention the question of authorship, I presume you might actually
      be referring to some other work that has the word "odes" in the title.
      Perhaps you were wondering about the authorship of the work known as the
      Odes of Solomon? But, as I mentioned, that work is of a much different
      character than the Biblical Odes, and questions about its authorship are
      more appropriate.

      James