      From: finckea@...
      To: LXX@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:01:06 -0400
      Subject: RE: [LXX] RE: greek - hebrew. dictionary of the lxx parallels

      Philip,
      Pesher Habakkuk from the Dead Sea (1QpHab VII, 14) thinks עֻפְּלָה is a scribal mistake for יכפלו, which means something like “double, do two times.”  The error occurred – so this view – when the ע split into ayin/vav (ו) for the right vertical and pe (פ) for the left vertical.  Pe in Herodian script is not so fat as today’s פ and differs from nun (נ) only through the downward slant of the upper left projection.  From a theological standpoint one would say that the Qumran people subsitituted יכ, i.e. J(esus) C(hrist) for the ע of Παῦλος (Paul) of the masoretic Hab. 2:4.  Just as Acts served as addendum to the gospels, so Paul “doubled” the gospels Chief Character.  The Septuagint continuously endeavored to exploit its broad Biblical perspective in enforcing New Testament details on the old.

      Andrew Fincke

      From: philipengmann@...
      To: LXX@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 02:58:09 -0700

      Dear Listees,

      in Habakkuk 2:4 the reflexive verb, ὑποστείληται, is used. Could not an active verb have sufficed?

      Thank you,

      Philip Engmann

      On Friday, January 31, 2014 7:58 PM, Jon Westcot <westcot@...> wrote:

      I might be on that list of buyers.

      To: LXX@yahoogroups.com
      From: nebarry@...
      Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 07:03:41 -0500

      I think having a morphologically tagged Peshitta text would be excellent. I for one am going to send a note to that effect to Logos, and I suggest any other Logos users on this list do as well. If they think they can sell a few copies, they will do it...

      N.E. Barry Hofstetter
      Sent from my iPad
      Personal opinions expressed in this email do not reflect any institution with which I may be affiliated

      On Jan 30, 2014, at 11:34 PM, biblicaltheology@... wrote:

      Greetings Andrew,

      You appear to be asking if the Logos Peshitta text is morphologically tagged.  I checked their web site and found that it is not.  They do include a limited apparatus and offer two Syriac scripts:  Serto and Estrangela.

      The Logos LXX is tagged, thus the cursor hovering data as noted below.

      BibleWorks includes a non-tagged text as well.

      Accordance includes a grammatically tagged text as contained in Peshitta manuscript 7a1 (Milan, Ambrosian Library).

      I hope this helps.

      Best,
      Jay

      From: andrew finckea@...

      Dear James,
      Does it work that simply for the Peshitta Old Testament?  I was so excited to hear that Logos finally bought into the Leiden Peshitta Institute's Online Old Testament that I called Seattle and bought a trial version.  When I coldn't get a Peshitta verse to appear - let alone allow me to work with it -  I returned the software.  Can you get a Peshitta Old Testament verse up on your screen and "simply position my cursor over (a word) and it brings up the Hebrew word?"  If so, tell me how.
      Andrew

      From: jamesjay@...

      > I hate to mention this, but in Logos Bible software, I can simply
      > position my cursor over any vocabulary item in the LXX, and it brings up
      > the Hebrew word...

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic