3989Re: [lxx] Division of the books in the Septuagint

    Nov 11, 2013

      This is a tangent, but I'm puzzled by this comment, since I'm convinced that the works later collected to create the "New Testament" anthology began as scrolls. They only later were transformed into the codex formats in which they survived.
      "Contra Bob, emeritus, who feels that the New Testament neither physically nor chronologically suited the scroll format.

      Bob Kraft, emeritus!

      On 11/11/2013 10:43 AM, andrew fincke wrote:

      Dear Philip,

      The Hebrew's tough. For what You did to the ears it has כָּרִיתָ, i.e. karita or καριτα in Greek letters.  The word is from the root כרה, which means “dig” as in “dig a grave” (Gen. 50:5) or “dig a well” (Gen. 26:25) or “dig a pit” (Psalm 57:7).  “Digging ears” is a problem that LXX solved by transposing the letters κρτ to κτρ to get κατηρτίσω “you fashioned.”  A κετερ i.e. Hebrew keter (כֶתֶר) is a “crown,” something placed over the ears.  The implication is that “You crowned Me” in conjunction with the scroll mentioned in verse 8 suggests the New Testament and its crowned Hero proclaiming the abolition of animal sacrifices.  Contra Bob, emeritus, who feels that the New Testament neither physically nor chronologically suited the scroll format.

      Andrew Fincke

      From: philipengmann@...
      To: lxx@yahoogroups.comk
      Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 04:50:55 -0800
      Subject: Re: [lxx] Division of the books in the Septuagint

      Dear Listees,

      forgive my ignorance, but why does NETS Psalm 40[39]: 7[6] b read, "ears you fashioned for me?"

      Many thanks,

      Philip Engmann
      _._,___

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic