3886Re: [lxx] Ancient Of Days

  • Barry
    Dec 12, 2012
      On 12/12/2012 11:08 AM, andrew fincke wrote:
      > Christopher,The "ancient of days" is Samuel. See 1 Sam. 15:12: "And when
      > Samuel rose early to meet Saul in the morning it was told Samuel,
      > saying, Saul came to Carmel, and behold, he set him up a place, and is
      > gone about, and passed on, and gone down to Gilgal." LXX ends the verse
      > quite a bit differently, starting with "place" (lit. "hand") it says:
      > "And he turned the chariot and went down to Gilgal to Saul. And - look!
      > - he offered up a burnt offering to the Lord, the firstfruits of the
      > plunder he took from Amalek!" Samuel was a judge - 1 Sam. 7:15-17 - who
      > worked in one place (verse 17) but also made circuits (verses 15-16).
      > Thus he had a throne with "wheels" as Dan. 7:9 describes it. That's the
      > chariot of 1 Sam. 15:12 LXX. The wheels were fiery, since they brought
      > him to the burnt offering Saul was engaged in. Samuel at that time was
      > an old man - see 1 Sam. 12:2 - and Saul a king on the verge of
      > disenfranchisement. Dan 7:14 has Saul meeting Samuel, and verse 23
      > describes Saul's oppressive kingdom - see 1 Samuel 8:11-17 about "devour
      > the whole earth." Verse 26 describes the destruction of the Davidic
      > dynasty and verse 27 the establishment of the Christian church. Andrw Fincke

      This is just horribly silly. Andrew, if you are serious, I'm archiving
      this to show students how not to do exegesis -- you have invalid
      comparison of contexts and genre mis-identification neatly in one short
      paragraph. Modern translations recognize that NaTsYiB LYi YaD is better
      translated to set up a monument or trophy:

      1Sa 15:12 And Samuel rose early to meet Saul in the morning. And it was
      told Samuel, "Saul came to Carmel, and behold, he set up a monument for
      himself and turned and passed on and went down to Gilgal." [ESV]

      Yes, the LXX translates literally the Hebrew idiom literally here,
      ἀπέστακεν αὐτῷ χεῖρα (raised a hand for himself) and loses the meaning
      altogether. Interestingly enough, Jerome renders "formicem triumphalem,"
      a triumphal arch.

      N.E. Barry Hofstetter
      Semper melius Latine sonat
      The American Academy