3846Re: [lxx] Re: Philo of Alexandria and Josephus' comments on the Septuagint(any?)

    Oct 23, 2012
      mike karoules wrote:

      > To Robert Kraft;
      >
      > Thanks for your response, Robert. I didn't even think of to bring up
      > Aristeas' letter in the first post to this thread because to my
      > understanding the general consensus among textual students and
      > scholars is that it is spurious, or more-less a forgery. So I have
      > not taken that into consideration. Actually, I was under the
      > impression that all the extant works of Justin (and also Justin's
      > Discourse to the Greeks) but that the letter of Aristeas is spurious.

      Aristeas may be "spurious," in the sense that it is not what it claims
      to be, but it apparently is the oldest surviving version of the legend
      of the translation of the Pentateuch into Greek, dating probably to the
      2nd century bce, and thus basic for your interests. The judgment
      "spurious" does not automatically disqualify something from being relevant.

      > I have not heard of Melito of Sardis so I may have to check him out.
      > Is he a Greek writer?

      Yes, a late 2nd century Christian writer from Asia Minor who is asked by
      his consituents to get information about the Jewish scriptures
      (presumably in Greek translation) and travels to the east to find out.
      He returns with excerpts as well as a list of books (perhaps by that
      time codices). He has nothing directly to do with Alexandria, and knows
      versions of Greek scriptural texts that are not yet collected into a
      single entity or listed in a specific order. But he gets what he
      considers to be relevant information, apparently from sources in the
      holy land. See also the work of Origen and the library of Caesarea in
      the following centuries.

      > I realize the the Old Greek Septuagint was, for the most part, never
      > collected together as a single unit (as such) but was translated into
      > Greek from the Hebrew over a period of a number of years or probably a
      > number of decades.

      And probably a number of different places. So why call it "the Old Greek
      Septuagint" if it did not become such until around the 4the century?
      "It" is a collection of different translations of various books or
      units, sometimes with two or more translations of the same material
      competing with each other (e.g. the Minor Prophets used by Justin).

      > Do you know right off hand where in Josephus he elaborates on the work
      > of translation of Hebrew OT into Greek? Does he talk about its
      > distribution as well , if you recall?

      No need to recall. It is all online. See Antiquities 12.2 at
      http://www.ccel.org/ccel/josephus/works/files/ant-12.htm. He seems to
      assume that his readers, probably in Rome as well as elsewhere, would be
      familiar with the translations.

      > You mentioned something to the nature of Justin being in Asia Minor.
      > You know that he was raised in Samaria, no?

      Yes, but his main career as we know it was between Ephesus in Asia Minor
      and Rome.

      > Thank you Robert for your input and time into this question that I have.
      >
      > Take care
      >
      > Kindly,
      >
      > Mike Karoules

      It is very easy these days to investigate such questions online.
      Although there are sometimes some weaknesses in the entries, Wikipedia
      has lots of relevant material under "Aristeas," "Septuagint," and
      similar articles. You would do well to check them out and then pursue
      any remaining questions on lists such as this.

      Bob Kraft