3845Re: [lxx] Re: Philo of Alexandria and Josephus' comments on the Septuagint(any?)

  • mike karoules
    Oct 23, 2012
      To Robert Kraft;

      Thanks for your response,  Robert.  I didn't even think of to bring up Aristeas' letter in the first post to this thread  because to my understanding the general consensus among textual students and scholars is that it is spurious, or more-less a forgery.  So I have not taken that into consideration.   Actually,  I was under the impression that all the extant works of Justin (and also Justin's Discourse to the Greeks) but that the letter of Aristeas is spurious.

      I have not heard of Melito of Sardis so I may have to check him out.  Is he a Greek writer?

      I realize the the Old Greek Septuagint was,  for the most part,  never collected together as a single unit (as such) but was translated into Greek from the Hebrew over a period of a number of years or probably a number of decades.

      Do you know right off hand where in Josephus he elaborates on the work of translation of Hebrew OT into Greek?  Does he talk about its distribution as well , if you recall?

      You mentioned something to the nature of Justin being in Asia Minor.   You know that he was raised in Samaria, no?

      Thank you Robert for your input and time into this question that I have.

      Take care

      Kindly,

      Mike Karoules