3844Re: [lxx] Re: Philo of Alexandria and Josephus' comments on the Septuagint(any?)

    Oct 22, 2012
      I'm surprised that you have not yet received any responses. People must
      be busy with other things these days. Your question, which relates
      especially to the translation of the Pentateuch ("the LXX" proper) is
      easily answered if you would consult literature on the "Epistle of
      Aristeas" (check it in a search engine), which tells the old story that
      gets picked up in varying forms by other writers such as Philo,
      Josephus, Justin, et al. Incidentally, the Discourse to the Greeks
      attributed to Justin is usually considered to be spurious, although that
      does not make it irrelevant for your questions. On the use of Greek
      translations of the various portions of the collection that came to be
      considered Jewish scriptures, you should also look closely at the works
      of Melito of Sardis, in Asia Minor, at the end of the 2nd century.
      Justin himself (perhaps also in Asia Minor) knows a Greek translation of
      the Minor Prophets scroll which was not the same as the translation
      later included in Greek Jewish scriptures, but of which fragments have
      been found in the Judean Desert finds (at Nahal Hever; see the edition
      by Emanuel Tov). The question is complicated especially by the
      assumption that some single unit (like a modern codex book) called "the
      Septuagint" existed in the first and second centuries of the common era.
      There was no coordinated translation effort that covered everything that
      by the 4th century would be considered Greek Jewish scriptures, but
      various translations of various scripturesque writings were produced and
      later gathered together.

      Bob Kraft, emeritus professor University of Pennsylvania