      From: lxx@yahoogroups.com [mailto:lxx@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of andrew fincke
      Sent: October-16-11 12:31 AM
      To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [lxx] 2 Sam 23:1

      Dear Ken,
      Here it is!
      The reading of 4QSama makes clear that the corruption of the phrase in M was owing to the well-known interchange of אל and על, rooted in the falling together of the two with the weakening of the laryngeals and the subsequent colouring (sic!) of the associated vowels (both pronounced with 'e-class' vowels) in late Hebrew. Examples of the confusion may be found in 2 Samuel above in VARIANTS to 3:37, 22:43 and passim. Thus the superior reading is הקים אל, with 4QSama, Old Latin and the Lucianic Greek manuscripts. So, (sic!) Cross, Canaanite Myth, 234, n. 66. For a brief history of the discussion, see McCarter, II Samuel, 477. Compare the standard formula for the establishment of kings by God: והקים יהוה לו מלך (1 Kgs 14:14); יהוה אלהיו ... להקים את בנו (1Kgs 15:4); יהוה והקמתי (Jer 23:5); יהוה אלהיהם ... אקים (Jer 30:9). (Cross/Saley, 186).
      Andrew Fincke

      To: lxx@yahoogroups.com<mailto:lxx%40yahoogroups.com>
      From: kpenner@...<mailto:kpenner%40stfx.ca>
      Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 22:29:05 -0300

      Thanks for your willingness, but it seems the list strips attachments. If you had a chance to send it directly, that would be great.
      Cheers,
      Ken

      Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor, Religious Studies