3734RE: [lxx] 2 Sam 23:1

  • Ken Penner
    Oct 15, 2011
      Dick wrote:
      “The Hebrew Vorlage of the Old Greek επι was clearly אל, the reading of 4QSam-a as has already been pointed out.”
      I don’t have DJD 17 here at home to check page 186, could you summarize the reasons for thinking the OG’s Vorlage was אל rather than על? It seems to me επι represents על three times as frequently as אל in Samuel. If the Hebrew Vorlage were אל, I would expect the Old Greek to read προς, which is the typical translation of אל.

      Ken

      Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
      Moderator, Dead Sea Scrolls scholars email discussion list:
      St. Francis Xavier University
      kpenner@...<mailto:kpenner@...>