3541RE: [lxx] Re: Amen

    Dec 13, 2010
      Good point, Price!
      From the way the Chronicler put together the Psalms, having Psalms 96(95): 12: "The field rejoices and everything in it; all the trees of the forest sing out" precede 106(105):48: "'Bless the Lord forever and ever!' And all the people said, 'Amen! Praise the Lord!'" it would seem that "Amen" concludes a song - namely that of the trees of the forest - and not a prayer. The people responded to the final sentence of the sylvan song: "Bless the Lord!" with "Amen!" Deut 27:15 suggests that the trees cried out - and not in the way of blessing - as they were being cut down: "'Cursed is the man who will make an idol!' ... And all the people said, 'Amen!'" To understand how trees were cultivated for the manufacture of idols, see Isaiah 44:13-15. You've got to know Hebrew to understand the dual meaning of אמונתו "His faithfulness/his handiwork" in 96(95):13. If you read the final two words - ועמים באמונתו "and peoples in His faithfulness" as ועצים באמונתו "and treees in his craftmanship" you can see how the judgment mentioned there is not a blessing but a curse. The trees were destined to be cursed for their role in the manufacture of idols. The fig tree of Mat 21:19-20 took the curse on himself.
      Andrew Fincke

      To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
      From: toujoursprest@...
      Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 03:02:57 +0000
      Subject: [lxx] Re: Amen

      David,
      The use of amen in the Psalms seemed to be in a different way than concluding a prayer, as when it occurs with an expression of praise to the Lord (10 times). "Amen" is used after a baruch (praise) formula by the person speaking the formula (Ps 41:14; 72:19; 89:53) as well as all those who hear it (Ps 106:48; 1 Chron. 16:36; Neh 8:6). This type of praise-formula has a standard structure and always begins with the word Baruch: translated as "Blessed/Praised be....."

      Price