      To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
      From: gajs-f0el@...
      Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 22:52:33 -0500
      Subject: RE: [lxx] set of images of the old Vaticanus photo facsimile available

      > Thanks, Jim,

      James, please. <rant> Why does at least 50% of the world's population (I
      now see that even Australians are prone to what I thought might be a
      strictly American tendency) seem to presume that everyone whose name is
      James wants to be called Jim? </rant>

      > Each folder contains about 88 file-images, which must be extracted with Winzip, which has a 45-day free evaluation period.
      > The final file of Vaticanus1.rar is GA03_01_S3_166.jpg, whose first page is Num 20:5-27. The final file of Vaticanus2.rar
      > is GA03_01_S3_346.jpg
      > , which has 1 Sam 25;39-27:3 as contents of its two pages.

      Coupla things. First, I think the 7-zip utility handles rar files, and
      it's free/GPL. Second, I too at I first thought that the first rar file
      began with the book of Numbers. But in my case, I discovered the images
      were displaying in my un-archiving utility in reverse order. Once I
      scrolled down to the files at the bottom I saw that the first page of
      Genesis was there and that the numbers increased from 00 at the bottom to
      166 (or 168?) at the top. Maybe that's what happened to you as well? In
      any case, if you don't end up getting what precedes Num 20, I can
      certainly supply it for you.

      James

      The $5000 color facsimile Vatican edition isn't all that great.