      To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
      From: gajs-f0el@...
      Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:49:28 -0500
      Subject: [lxx] set of images of the old Vaticanus photo facsimile available

      I meant to post about this some time ago, but am only now getting around
      to it. Over on the TC list-serve a few months ago, someone posted a link
      to a collection of photos someone took of all pages from the old photo
      facsimile of Codex Vaticanus (the edition done in the late 19th century,
      if memory serves). So the OT section of the manuscript--an important LXX
      witness--is included among these images.

      The whole set is quite large, the entirety coming in at well over a
      gigabyte. As you might guess, then, the photos are taken at a fairly high
      resolution (about 4,000 by 3,000 pixels). So the quality is pretty
      good--though a couple of caveats should be borne in mind. First, the old
      facsimile consists of black and white plates (the new facsimile is, of
      course, in color). Second, the photos of the old facsimile to which I link
      were not taken straight on, i.e., directly above the book, but rather at
      an angle. So, though the photos are not executed ideally, the text is
      still fully legible. And, again, the resolution is fairly high.

      I append below the post from the TC list announcing the availability of
      these images:

      -----BEGIN POST FROM TC LIST--------
      I have also reposted them to a new site in "under 200MB" zipped files.
      There are ads, so I apologize ahead of time. ;-)

      http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a63c12e4771ee14fa0f2f20c509059d97730a72b63f0eb48b8eada0a1ae8665a
      -----END POST FROM TC LIST----------

      By the way, this is a work that is out of copyright, so downloading and
      sharing these files should not carry any legal penalty (standard
      disclaimer: I am not a lawyer). I hope to post again soon about some other
      facsimiles, asking whether they are still available in electronic format
      and/or whether they might be made available.

      James

      PS Couldn't some non-ad-supported option be made available, perhaps from
      some academic institution, for the hosting of these sorts of files?