3443Re: [lxx] Re: Contextualization & LXX Translation

  • Sigrid Peterson
    Mar 29, 2010
      David,
      "Septuagint" refers only to the (miraculous) translation from Hebrew,
      made by the Seventy scholars in Alexandria, in/around 300 BCE, and described
      first in the Letter of Aristeas. The books translated then were the
      Torah/Pentateuch -- Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy -- five
      books.

      Old Greek refers to all the different ancient translations from Hebrew
      into Greek, including the Pentateuch/Torah, and is the more general term.

      If your example texts are all from the Torah/Pentateuch, the term
      "Septuagint" can correctly be used. If they are from the Greek translations
      of the Hebrew (not the MT, exactly) that span about 500 years, and include
      books with no (known) Hebrew <i>Vorlage</i>, then OG is a better term.

      Note that for particular books, there are sometimes more than one
      ancient translation. In that case, OG also serves to designate the "oldest"
      derived text, derived by text-critical methods.

      Don't be misled by the Jobes & Silva *Invitation to the Septuagint
      (2000)*. They weren't willing to move against the stream at that time, and
      use the correct terminology. If you read carefully, you will recognized that
      the understanding I sketch above is also theirs.

      You will also find people who know better lapsing into LXX as a general
      term; I did it to someone who is not attempting scholarship in this field,
      the other day, as a simplification.

      All the best,
      Sigrid Peterson, PhD

      Sigrid Peterson, PhD