      From: Emanuel Contac <vaisamar@...>
      Subject: RE: [lxx] Aldine Bible. 1518. Venice
      To: lxx@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, October 31, 2009, 9:30 AM

        Hello List,

       Does anybody know if the Aldine Bible (allegedly the first Septuagint in print, 1518) is available as PDF online? I write from Europe (Romania) and Google Books applies restrictions for my country. I have searched Gallica (French National Library), Europeana (The European version Google Books), Archive.org, Lulu.com (they sell Erasmus 1516 as PDF) and a few other sites. To no avail.

       I have read somewhere that "Stichoi eis to theion David" are printed in the Aldine Bible too, but I have no ways of checking the information with a printed edition. Below is the information about the Aldine Bible. I hope this request reaches somebody with better skills at searching the net for early Bibles.

      Aldus, 1518. Aldus Manutius, Panta ta kat exoken kaloumena biblia theias delade graphes palaias te kai neas [Romanized Greek]. Sacrae Scripturae Veteris Novaeque omnia. Venice: Aldus Manutius, 1518.

        Emanuel Contac, Romania

      Who flies afar from the sphere of our sorrow,

      Is here today and here tomorrow.

      From: kevin@bombaxo. com

      Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:15:47 -0700

      Quoting andrew fincke <finckea@hotmail. com>:

      > Lines to the Deity David.

      > Hush, Orpheus! Put down, Hermes, the lyre!

      > Three-legged Delphi, sink again into oblivion!

      > Because David is playing for us a spiritual lyre.

      > He explains the hidden mysteries of God.

      > He recounts a multitude of prodigious antiquities.

      > He incites the creation to a song of the Creator.

      > He saves everyone, he initiates into the mysteries, he writes.

      > He brings sinners to repentance.

      > With many others, he clears up the thinking of the confused.

      > He teaches how to wash away errors of the soul.

      I write:

      Rather than "Deity", I would suggest "divine", Andrew.

      Also, if memory serves, I recall a translation of this poem (or one

      very like it) in the front matter to the Holy Transfiguration

      Monastery Psalter.

      Regards,

      Kevin P. Edgecomb

      Berkeley, California

      Windows 7: Simplify your PC. Learn more.

      http://www.microsof t.com/Windows/ windows-7/ default.aspx? ocid=PID24727: :T:WLMTAGL: ON:WL:en- US:WWL_WIN_ evergreen1: 102009