3216Re: Apocrypha Quotes in NT

  • patandjimellis
    Sep 1, 2009
      --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, Sigrid Peterson <petersig@...> wrote:

      > To Patandjimellis:
      >
      > With reference to your third point, about Apocryphal and OT references to
      > Hebrews 11:35, see the *The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha,
      > Revised Standard Version,* at Hebrews 11:35 for references to Kings and 2
      > Maccabees. ...

      I wasn't very clear in my post. Hebrews 11:35 refers to women who received some one raised from the dead and to "others" who endured torturing and did not accept deliverance so they could obtain a better resurrection. The first part could apply to 1 Kings 17:17-24 (a miracle of Elijah) and 2 Kings 4:18-37) miracle of Elisha. The latter part of the verse could apply to the story in 2 Maccabees 7:1-41 where a mother and her 7 sons were offered the chance to eat pork and escape death but they refused because of the hope of a better resurrection.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic