3213Re: [lxx] Re: Apocrypha Quotes in NT

  • Sigrid Peterson
    Sep 1, 2009
      To Patandjimellis:

      With reference to your third point, about Apocryphal and OT references to
      Hebrews 11:35, see the *The New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha,
      Revised Standard Version,* at Hebrews 11:35 for references to Kings and 2
      Maccabees. (I couldn't find my copy so I used Amazon's "Search Inside" to
      locate the page with verse and references.) Also see my paper, written for a
      Feminist Companion, but never used. It's available online at
      http://personlinks.org/Articles. Scroll down to the title "Women Who
      Received Their Dead by Resurrection." All possible cross-references are
      included. The argument of the author of Hebrews, throughout, references
      texts know to Jews/Hebrews from official and unofficial texts.

      I appear not to have raised questions of phrasing in my article, partly
      because the chapter as a whole is a recital of heroes of the Jewish past.
      That's made plain by the first verse of Hebrews 12. For an overview of
      Hebrews 11 see Pamela Eisenbaum's book on *The Jewish Heroes of Christian
      History: Hebrews 11 in Literary Context.*

      Best,
      Sigrid Peterson

      Sigrid Peterson,

      PhD