3211Re: The LXX used as the OT for Christians

  • kg6gjr
    Sep 1, 2009
      --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin P. Edgecomb" <kevin@...> wrote:

      > Quoting Michael <kg6gjr@...>:
      > > Should the MT text be used as our OT, or should LXX be used? Should
      > > the base be the MT with the LXX supplementary, or should the LXX be
      > > the base text with the MT used supplementary? I do agree that
      > > Hebrew was the original language of the OT, but which text is closer
      > > to that original Hebrew?
      >
      > I write,
      > Michael, this is more of a matter of the practices of individual
      > churches than it is something that can be established for everyone.
      > For Greek Orthodox Christians, the LXX itself is their OT, and the OTs
      > of other Orthodox are based upon it. The OT for Protestant Christians
      > is generally one or more of the various translations based on the
      > Hebrew but taking into account the LXX. The Roman Catholic position
      > is complicated, with both the Latin Vulgate (which is in part merely a
      > Latin translation of the LXX) and (at least in the USA) an English
      > translation of a Hebrew/Latin/Greek mishmash being official OT texts.
      >
      > So, it really depends upon what a particular tradition holds to be
      > proper. There's no "one size fits all" answer.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Kevin P. Edgecomb
      > Berkeley, California

      Kevin,
      I appreciate your prompt answer. I also appreciate your candor in the matter. My research has shown that there is a good deal of truth to the faith group issue. I certainly don't think that either should be left untapped. I should probably read both. I will admit that I enjoy reading the LXX, but this is probably due to the fact that I am better at Greek than Hebrew. It takes extra effort for me to retain Hebrew Vocabulary. I found a vocabulary tutor on line, and it is helping. I also have a Readers Hebrew OT at home. At minimum, the parts of the LXX that are quoted in the NT are inspired, and should be investigated. I also know that the MT is quoted, but with less frequency. It is my understanding that the differences between the MT and the LXX don't undermine any essential christian doctrine. Thanks again for helping me think through this issue.
      Michael
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic