3208Re: [lxx] Re: Apocrypha Quotes in NT

  • Kevin P. Edgecomb
    Sep 1, 2009
      Quoting patandjimellis <jim@...>:
      >> I have heard that one of the reasons we should not accept the
      >> Apocryphal Old Testament books as canonical is because they were
      >> never quoted by Jesus or the Apostles in the New Testament.
      >> Is there available a list of cross references between Old Testament
      >> Apocrypha verses and their corresponding quote in the New Testament?
      > A few years ago someone from this list either posted or sent me (I
      > don't remember which) a listing of New Testament passages and their
      > corresponding cross references in the Old Testament apocryphal books
      > but I have no idea where that information is now.

      Dear Jim,
      I think that may have been this page of mine, that you mention:

      If direct quotation of an Old Testament book by the New Testament
      authors is necessary for it to be considered canonical, then there are
      a number of books commonly considered canonical which aren't.

      The Coptic and Macedonian Orthodox Churches do not use English
      continuous text Bible translations, but read from lectionary texts
      based on original language lectionaries, which would be in Coptic
      and/or Arabic, and in Slavonic respectively. So far as I know, the
      Slavonic Bible has never been translated into English. The Coptic
      Lectionary has been translated into English, but it is a multivolume
      set which is not inexpensive.

      Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Berkeley, California
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic