3203The LXX used as the OT for Christians

  • kg6gjr
    Sep 1, 2009
      Hello, my name is Michael, and I am new to this group. I have recently started researching issues related to the LXX. I am a Protestant Christian, and more specifically part of the Calvary Chapel movement. I mention that so all will know where I am coming from. Although I can read Hebrew & Greek, I am by no means a scholar, but I do consider myself a student of scripture. My training in Bible college taught me that the MT test should be used as the base text for the OT. However, I have discovered that the NT authors used the LXX extensively in quotes, allusions, and in vocabulary. I have read arguments ranging from the LXX being inspired, to the LXX being a fraud. I have also heard arguments that the MT has been corrupted, either intentionally or unintentionally. Some feel that the addition of vowel points has hopelessly corrupted the MT. I would like to hear the positions the group has on these issues. Should the MT text be used as our OT, or should LXX be used? Should the base be the MT with the LXX supplementary, or should the LXX be the base text with the MT used supplementary? I do agree that Hebrew was the original language of the OT, but which text is closer to that original Hebrew? I apologize for being long winded. I am sure all of you have been through these issues a thousand times. It is something I am sincerely wrestling with, and I ask for your patience to perhaps answer these questions for the 1,001st time.
      Thanks,
      Michael
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic