3189Re: Oldest Greek translation of Hebrew/Aramaic text

  • frankclancy
    Aug 8, 2009
      Dear Ken - thanks for the suggestion. However, I have a small problem. I believe I shall have an article published about "The Date of Ben Sira" in which I argue that Ben sira was written probably after his grandson went to Egypt or about 132-100 BCE and the grandson would have written the prologue about 100-80 BCE. Others have suggested Demetrius the Chronographer but I published an article demonstrating that Demetrius used the year 141 BCE as the base year for his chronography and I suggested there is no evidence placing him earlier than 100 BCE. And so on. I keep asking the same question - what is the earliest certain evidence of a Greek translation of a Judean text but I cannot get a satisfactory answer from any LXX scholar.

      Frank Clancy