2998RE: [lxx] Public Domain Accented Septuagint Text

    Aug 1, 2008
      Dear Andrew,
      "All are using Rahlfs"???? I doubt it. I use Brooke-McLean, Old Testament in Greek, II/1, which came out in 1927; and I don't hear the police knocking at the door. Of course, I don't use the text uncritically, because even they (B and M) don't stick to Vaticanus where the going gets tough - e.g. 2 Samuel 2:5-13, where a mouse ate a corner of the page, and they fill in from Alexandrinus. Or 2 Samuel 17:19, where Vaticanus: EGNWQH (for EGNWSQH "was known") was to repulsive to include. Get a hold of a facsimile - there are a number on the market (several from the 1800's) - and wave it before the judge at your plagiarism trial. You're going to have a tough time convincing me that Smend's invented ETEROKLINWS at 1 Chronicles 12:34 made it to the Bibles of the Greek Orthodox Church.
      Andrew Fincke

      To: lxx@yahoogroups.comFrom: andrew@...: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:16:52 +0300Subject: Re: [lxx] Public Domain Accented Septuagint Text

      Thank you very much for your valuable posts.Probably, it can be generally accepted, that all printed texts and manuscripts written before 1923 are in the public domain. Indeed we are speaking about very ancient texts. But I see that there is also a Copyright over the digital products, although they are produced from public domain sources. (When I make a photograph of a tree, that shot is my property, and the usage of the shot depends on my will. The same is with the texts, specially when it comes to inputing/transcribing the texts by the keyboard to digital form, which may take many years of hard working.)When I place some texts on my website, it is easy to remove them if someone asks this. But if I have worked for 15 years making corrections to the text, such situation will trouble my life and work. This is the main point of my posts about the Public Domain versions. In these cases the copyrighted bible texts are unusable for many of us.Some notes:1. Public Domain = No copyright.(Once the term of a copyright has expired, the formerly copyrighted work enters the public domain and may be freely used or exploited by anyone. The term indicates that these materials are therefore "public property", and available for anyone to use for any purpose.)2. All known web texts (Septuagint) cannot be freely corrected, modified and published.3. All available digital texts are copyrighted, except Hancock's, but this cannot be verified.4. All are using Rahlfs. There is no other text. Even the LXX text used by the Church of Greece is Alfred Rahlfs Septuaginta.5. Maybe even the copyright of the original text of Rahlfs is doubtful.6. The CCAT/CATSS text is not Public Domain, and maybe not permitted for distribution. And the meaning of "private" to this publicly used text is questionable? Complicated situation.7. The http://www.tyndalehouse.co.uk/Fonts/index.htm text is Hancock's.7. The transcription of all the texts of the bible by the keyboard is very difficult work, which takes about 15-25 years. (Transcribing and Proofreading).9. If I want to publish one very old manuscript called the "ORIGINAL" :), then I need to use, modify and publish some non copyrighted text. The copyrighted is unusable in this case.10. It's impossible to OCR (Optical Character Recognition) classical Greek anyway.11. God bless you :)I will be thankful for your corrections and clarifications.RespectfullyAndrew