2994Re: [lxx] Public Domain Accented Septuagint Text

  • Andrew
    Aug 1, 2008
      Thank you very much for your valuable posts.

      Probably, it can be generally accepted, that all printed texts and manuscripts
      written before 1923 are in the public domain. Indeed we are speaking about
      very ancient texts. But I see that there is also a Copyright over the digital
      products, although they are produced from public domain sources. (When I make
      a photograph of a tree, that shot is my property, and the usage of the shot
      depends on my will. The same is with the texts, specially when it comes to
      inputing/transcribing the texts by the keyboard to digital form, which may
      take many years of hard working.)

      When I place some texts on my website, it is easy to remove them if someone
      asks this. But if I have worked for 15 years making corrections to the text,
      such situation will trouble my life and work. This is the main point of my
      posts about the Public Domain versions. In these cases the copyrighted bible
      texts are unusable for many of us.

      Some notes:
      1. Public Domain = No copyright.
      (Once the term of a copyright has expired, the formerly copyrighted work
      enters the public domain and may be freely used or exploited by anyone. The
      term indicates that these materials are therefore "public property", and
      available for anyone to use for any purpose.)
      2. All known web texts (Septuagint) cannot be freely corrected, modified and
      published.
      3. All available digital texts are copyrighted, except Hancock's, but this
      cannot be verified.
      4. All are using Rahlfs. There is no other text. Even the LXX text used by the
      Church of Greece is Alfred Rahlfs Septuaginta.
      5. Maybe even the copyright of the original text of Rahlfs is doubtful.
      6. The CCAT/CATSS text is not Public Domain, and maybe not permitted for
      distribution. And the meaning of "private" to this publicly used text is
      questionable? Complicated situation.
      7. The http://www.tyndalehouse.co.uk/Fonts/index.htm text is Hancock's.
      7. The transcription of all the texts of the bible by the keyboard is very
      difficult work, which takes about 15-25 years. (Transcribing and
      Proofreading).
      9. If I want to publish one very old manuscript called the "ORIGINAL" :), then
      I need to use, modify and publish some non copyrighted text. The copyrighted
      is unusable in this case.
      10. It's impossible to OCR (Optical Character Recognition) classical Greek
      anyway.
      11. God bless you :)

      I will be thankful for your corrections and clarifications.

      Respectfully
      Andrew
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic