2246Re: [lxx] question

    May 4, 2007

      Interesting. I received this message, but not the earlier two. Wonder why?

      In any event, the last part of Andrew's quote from Philo should read "the word 'Hebrew' is
      translated [or means, in Greek] 'one who passes by' (peraths)." This is but one of scores of
      passages in which Philo translates Hebrew terms for his readers. For more, see L. Grabbe,
      Etymology in Early Jewish Interpretation: the Hebrew Names in Philo, Brown Judaic Series 115
      (Atlanta: Scholars Press 1988).

      Bob Kraft, UPenn

      kraft@.... upenn.edu
      http://ccat. sas.upenn. edu/rs/rak/ kraft.html