2223Re: [lxx] Chronological Order of the lxx

  • Kevin P. Edgecomb
    Mar 20, 2007
      One correction would be that the book of Susanna depicts Daniel as a young man, while Bel and the Dragon do follow the book of Daniel.  Susanna was anciently prefixed to the book of Daniel to reflect this.  Though if you wanted to have it in a "chronological" position, I suppose it would need to be inserted in some early spot in Daniel, once he was already depicted as having become a captive in Babylon.

      It's an interesting arrangement, this idea of "chronological order," that I've not encountered before.  It's kind of fun.

      Regards,
      Kevin P. Edgecomb
      Berkeley, California

      <lxx@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Dear Sean,

      From a scholar’s perspective, this list is interesting but bizarre.  For instance, no one could agree about the “era” of Job in antiquity—it could go somewhat later than it’s here, say after Numbers.  Also, why does it have the Gospels in the MMLJ order, when if you take the ascriptions literally, John was of an earlier generation than Luke and Mark?  It seems the NT is less ordered than the OT.  I’ll leave out the fact that scholars typically want to list books in the order of their composition, not the order of the periods that the books depict or that they claim to have been composed—but I guess that’s exactly what makes this ordered list interesting.

      In any event, what you want is to stick in the books of the Septuagint in the order below.  I took this as a bit of a challenge—anyway, maybe some readers want to refine what I’ve started?

      Jed Wyrick
      Dept. of Religious Studies
      California State University, Chico

      1. Wisdom of Solomon (during Solomon’s life—it might therefore have been considered sometime prior to the work of his old age, Ecclesiastes)
      2. Letter of Jeremiah (immediately after book of Jeremiah and I guess after Lamentations)
      3. Barukh (after Letter of Jeremiah and Book of Jeremiah both)
      4. Prayer of Azariah (between Dan. 3:23 and 3:24 )
      5. Susanna (goes just after Daniel 12, the end of Daniel)
      6. Bel and the Dragon (just after Susanna)
      7. Tobit (Ninevah after end of Northern Kingdom in 722; Tobit depicts itself as written in the Babylonian Exile, so I’d put it after Daniel, but Ninevah was destroyed in 612 BCE, so events described are earlier)
      8. Judith (set after end of Babylonian Captivity, usually 538 BCE but before death of Nebuchadnezzar in 562 BCE; so insert maybe after Tobit)
      9. Additions to Esther (insert in appropriate places in Esther 10-16)
      10. 1 Ezra (= 1 Esdras [English Bible] or III Esdras in the Vulgate) (a history that covers Josiah’s Passover in 622 BCE up to Ezra’s reading of the law in Neh. 8:12—so it goes after Nehemiah I guess, unless you break it up)

      The following would be at the very end of the OT:

      11. Sirach (Ecclesiasticus) (deals with the period up to ca. 200 BCE)
      12. 1 Maccabees (covers period 175- 135/4 BCE)
      13. 2 Maccabees (covers period 171-161 BCE)

      You could do 1 and 2 Macc. like this:  (I think this would work for your purposes, but it’s just my first try)
      1 Macc 1-2
      2 Macc. 1-4:6
      1 Macc 3-6:16
      2 Macc 4:7-10:9
      1 Macc 6:17-7:50
      2 Macc 10:10-15:39
      1 Macc. 8-16

      From: Sean Rhoades <rhoadess@...>
      Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:18:40 -0700 (PDT)
      To: <lxx@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [lxx] Chronological Order of the lxx

      Hi Bill
          I am looking for something more like the following list but with the other books that we find in the Greek Septuagint added, I suppose I could guess where they go but I am sure there must be one out there:
      Chronological    Order of Old Testament

      Genesis 1 - 22
         Job
         Genesis 23 - 50
         Exodus
         Psalm 90
         Leviticus
         Numbers
         Deuteronomy
         Psalm 91
         Joshua
         Judges
         Ruth
         I Samuel 1 - 16:13
         Psalm 23
         I Samuel 16:14 - 19:11
         Psalm 59
         I Samuel 19:12 - 21:15
         Psalms 34, 56
         I Samuel 22:1, 2
         Psalms 57, 142
         I Samuel 22:3-23
         Psalm 52
         I Samuel 23
         Psalms 54, 63
         I Samuel 24 - 31
         II Samuel 1 - 7
         Psalm 30
         II Samuel 8:1-14
         Psalm 60
         II Samuel 8:15 - 12:14
         Psalms 51, 32
         II Samuel 12:15 - 15:37
         Psalms 3, 69
         II Samuel 16 - 20
         Psalms 64, 70
         II Samuel 21, 22
         Psalm 18
         II Samuel 23, 24
         Psalms 4 - 9, 11 - 17, 19 - 22, 24 - 29, 31, 35 - 41, 53, 55, 58, 61, 62,
         Psalms 65, 68, 72, 86, 101, 103, 108 - 110, 138 - 141, 143 - 145
         I Kings 1 - 4
         Proverbs
         Song of Solomon
         I Kings 5 - 11
         Ecclesiastes
         I Kings 12 - 22
         II Kings 1 - 14:25
         Jonah
         II Kings 14:26-29
         Amos
         II Kings 15 - 25
         Psalms 1, 2, 10, 33, 43, 66, 67, 71, 89, 92 - 100,
         Psalms 102, 104 - 106, 111 - 125, 127 - 136, 146 - 150
         I Chronicles 1 - 16
         Psalms 42, 44 - 50, 73 - 85, 87, 88
         I Chronicles 17 - 29
         II Chronicles 1 - 21
         Obadiah
         II Chronicles 22
         Joel
         II Chronicles 23 - 26:8
         Isaiah 1 - 5
       II Chronicles 26:9 - 23
         Isaiah 6
         II Chronicles 27 - 32
         Isaiah 7 - 66
         Hosea
         Micah
         Nahum
         II Chronicles 33, 34
         Zephaniah
         II Chronicles 35
         Habakkuk
         Jeremiah 1 - 6, 11, 12, 26, 7 - 10, 14 - 20, 35, 36, 45, 25, 46 - 49,
         Jeremiah 13, 22 - 24, 27 - 29, 50, 51, 30 - 33, 21, 34, 37 - 39, 52, 40 - 44
         Lamentations
         II Chronicles 36:1 - 8
         Daniel
         II Chronicles 36:9 - 21
         Psalm 137
         Ezekiel
         II Chronicles 36:22, 23
         Ezra 1 - 5:1
         Haggai
         Zechariah
         Psalms 107, 126
         Ezra 5:2 - 6:22
         Esther
         Ezra 7 - 10
         Nehemiah
         Malachi

         Chronological    Order of New Testament

      Matthew
         Mark
         Luke
         John
         Acts 1 - 14
         James
         Acts 15
         Galatians
         Acts 16
         Philippians
         Acts 17:1 - 10
         I Thessalonians
         II Thessalonians
         Acts 17:11 - 18:11
         I Corinthians
         II Corinthians
         Acts 18:12 - 20:1
         Ephesians
         Romans
         Acts 20:2 - 28:30
         Colossians
         Hebrews
         Titus
         Philemon
         I Timothy
         II Timothy
         I Peter
         II Peter
         I John
         II John
         III John
         Jude
         The Revelation

      Joh 8:31-32 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

      Home Page <http://www.unravelingtheword.info/HomePage/>

      Listen To The Word Free <http://www.mp3bibleplayer.org/>

      For Those Who Do Not Truly Believe In The Word Of God <http://www.unravelingtheword.info/HomePage/images/hell2.jpg>