2081Re: Proverbs 20:22 LXX

  • Dale Ogilvie
    Nov 16, 2006
      --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Johnson" <mej1960@...> wrote:

      > --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Ogilvie" <deoiq9502@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm not sure what my "Biblia Polyglotta" edition is, as the front
      > > matter is in latin.
      >
      > Why would that stop you? O tempore, o mores!

      O what? I think you understand my problem...

      > > After "the greek old testament, according to the seventy" it has:
      > >
      > > id est, vetus testamentum, secundum, setupaginta [sic] seniorum,
      > > interpretationem, juxta exemplar vaticanum, adjiciuntur, editionis
      > > grabianae variae lectiones.
      >
      > The punctuation looks wrong, but other than that, this should mean:
      >
      > that is, the old testament, according to the interpretation of the
      > seventy elders, next to the Vatican exemplar, are added the various
      > readings of Grabian's edition.

      Thankyou for your translation, I was hoping someone on the list would
      provide the necessary! The commas don't exist in the original text.
      The text comes from the title page of the book, I replaced new lines
      with commas. So it looks like this on the page:

      ID EST
      VETUS TESTAMENTUM
      SECUNDUM
      etc...

      You may view an image of this title page here:
      http://homepages.maxnet.co.nz/dale/lxx.jpg

      So, when the latin title says "next to the Vatican exemplar, are added
      the various readings of Grabian's edition" might this mean that my
      text is that of Codex Vaticanus, with variants from Grabe's edition
      (Alexandrinus). There is quite a bit more describing my text in a
      "PRAEFATIO", but I'm latin-challenged.

      Dale
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic