2080Re: Proverbs 20:22 LXX

  • Matthew Johnson
    Nov 16, 2006
      --- In lxx@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Ogilvie" <deoiq9502@...> wrote:

      > In my text Proverbs 20:20-22 occurs between Prov 20:9 and Prov 20:11.

      [snip]

      > I'm not sure what my "Biblia Polyglotta" edition is, as the front
      > matter is in latin.

      Why would that stop you? O tempore, o mores!

      > After "the greek old testament, according to the seventy" it has:
      >
      > id est, vetus testamentum, secundum, setupaginta [sic] seniorum,
      > interpretationem, juxta exemplar vaticanum, adjiciuntur, editionis
      > grabianae variae lectiones.

      The punctuation looks wrong, but other than that, this should mean:

      that is, the old testament, according to the interpretation of the
      seventy elders, next to the Vatican exemplar, are added the various
      readings of Grabian's edition.

      It is not a complete sentence. It looks like it was have preceded with
      a few more (than you quoted) English words to make a complete
      sentence. This probably would have made clear what "vetus testamentum"
      really agrees with too.

      I have not tried to re-order the terms in to better English word
      order, but I think you get the idea.

      [snip]
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic