      Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 10:42 PM
      Subject: Re: [lxx] Proverbs 20:22 LXX

      If you are referring to Mark 16:9-20, it is not true that they were added by St. Jerome, out of whole cloth or otherwise.

      There are only 3 Greek manuscripts that do not have those verses, and only two are really ancient (3rd to 4th century), and one has a blank spot where those verses would go, and the other has the ending written in twice the size, which if it were written in the normal size, would have left the same blank spot, just big enough for those verses.

      Two good books on the subject are:

      1) The Last Twelve Verses of Mark, by William Farmer

      2) And a book by John Burgon, with the same title:

      -Fr. John Whiteford

      Ernest Steadman <easteadman@alltel. net> wrote:
      You may have stumbled upon the same thing that happened with the last twelve verses of Mark, added to the Latin Vugate out of whole cloth by St. Jerome and others.