1869Re: Luke 3:36 and the LXX

  • Wieland Willker
    Dec 22 12:20 AM
      > The relevant fragment is 11Q12 2. Only a few letters > from each line have been preserved. These letters are
      > compatible with the Ethiopic text at 4:13-14, but
      > QYNN's name would have fallen in parts of lines 2
      > and 3 that have been lost.

      But this is not the Cain we are talking about, in chapter 4 we have the story of Cain and Abel. We need a Cain in Jub. ch. 7, where I read in the online version:
      "And these are the sons of Shem: Elam, and Asshur, and Arpachshad -this (son) was born two years after the flood- and 19 Lud, and Aram."
      No Cain, which is consistent with the Masoretic text.

      So, no pre-Christian Cain in Gen 10 + 11. Also Josephus and Julius Africanus both don't have it and both cite the LXX. The earliest evidence we have (so far) is from the late 3rd CE (and Lk 3:36).

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany