1452Re: [lxx] copies of Codex A's Exodus

    Nov 16, 2004
      Now that I have a few minutes to check out the situation, I'm surprised to find
      that your are correct -- Wevers doesn't provide any guidance regarding allies of
      either A or B or F in his Goettingen edition! Sorry. My own early work with
      Pentateuch manuscripts based on the Cambridge Larger LXX edition left me with the
      impression that the closest minuscule to A was B-M's "y" = Gottingen 121.
      Fortunately, I find that I do have on my shelf Wevers' Text History of the Greek
      Exodus (1992) in which he provides great detail for all the witnesses, including
      Alexandrinus. And it is in English!

      So, he finds that the closest allies to A are his family italicized "b"
      (19-108-118-314-537) which far outweighs all other groups. Surprisingly, his
      italicized "y" group (121-318-392-527[partly]) does not rank very highly, but he
      has the following comment on that: "The low ranking for the _y_ group in the A
      tradition is partly offset by the strong support of the individual ms 121 [=B-M y]
      which supported the A reading in 89 cases from the above list (whereas ms 318 had
      37 instances, and 392, only 25). ... That the relationship between A and 121 is a
      real one becomes even clearer when List 5 is examined (i.e. A readings with no more
      than four further witnesses). Ms 121 supports A readings 35 times, wheras others in
      the above list are insignificant; these are 319 with 8, 392 with 3, 318 and 509
      with 2 each, and 59 with 1" (p.103).

      That made me feel better. In terms of individual mss (not families), y/121 stands
      closest to A. Exactly how that relationship came about is another matter, and why
      it didn't hold for the otherwise close associates of y. Wevers gives long lists of
      the relevant evidence.