      Sent: Friday, April 21, 2000 10:21 PM
      Subject: [lxx] Re: terminological clarification

      Dear Colleagues:

      The following terminological convention is followed in Jellicoe's "Septuagint and Modern Study":

      1. "version" = translations of the biblical text (from LXX, presumably)into other languages. E.g., he lists the Syriac, Old Latin, Coptic,Slavonic, Samaritan Pentateuch (! with a qualification, of course) etc.under the "versions."

      2. "revisions" = basically, the columns in Origen's Hexapla - minus the Hebrew, transliterated Hebrew and Origen's LXX. In other words, Aquila,Theodotion and Symmachus.

      3. "recensions" = the "3 varieties" (excuse my Latin) mentioned by Jerome,i.e., Origen's (sometimes called "Hexaplaric"), Hesychius' and Lucian's.

      My question is: how widespread  is this terminological convention? Will  anyone in LXX studies understand, when they hear the term "version" whatJellicoe subsumes under that term? Likewise with the terms "recension" and "revision"? Are there other conventions which would define these termsdifferently? It seems to me to be important to understand and use this terminology consistently and correctly. Feedback of any kind will be appreciated.

      Thanks, James