Re: [lx90] Fixing Declination Axis Wobble

  • Gary Preston
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1 7:24 AM
      On 29 May 2013, at 04:39, neubertwj@... wrote:

      > I had 0.5 to 1 degree of play or wobble in my declination axes. The cause was a poor fit between the the declination pins and the declination clutch. I found a quick and cheap solution by adding some plastic ship material over the pins. It eliminated my problem. I posted the description here:
      > https://sites.google.com/site/wjnastronomy/equipment/meade-lx90-8-inch-f-10/mount/declination-modification

      Just had a look over the pictures you posted, one thing that stood out is there doesn't appear to be much/if any grease on the worm gear (bronze looking part)? Is that just down to the angle you took the photo at?

      I had a similar amount of play in the dec axis on my lx90, although in my case the screw that controlled the springyness of the worm gear was locked in too tight preventing it from moving up/down and meshing with the gear at all times.

      Gary
    • bruce.pech
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1 12:37 PM
        Your screw was too tight. My scope had the opposite problem. The two screws that hold the worm gear cage were too loose (i.e., on the verge of falling out) -- which also defeated the purpose of the spring.

      • neubertwj@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1 2:10 PM
          There is more grease on the gears that it appears in the photos. The grease is beige colored, so they don't show up well in the bright photos. I had trouble taking good photos because of the reflection off of the metal parts.

          However, the grease amount seems only just adequate.

          My work gear seemed to mesh alright, but I should take a closer look. Thanks for the tip.