Re: Meade LX90 Motor Drive problem

  • jeffd6633
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 15, 2013
      Hi, I may have my jumper cables from the power panel to the motor control boards upside down. Can you tell me which pins on the motor control boards receive the + and - cables from the power panel? (interesting note: the colors are backwards on the jumper cable with black being positive and red negative!).

      Jeff

      --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:

      > What power source are you using? Motor Fault error is typically a result of
      > poor voltage or perhaps a connector from the power source.
      >
      > Dr. Clay
      > _____
      > Arkansas Sky Observatories
      > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
      > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
      > MPC H43 - Conway West
      > http://www.arksky.org/

    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 15, 2013
        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "jeffd6633" <jeffd6633@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I may have my jumper cables from the power panel to the motor
        > control boards upside down. Can you tell me which pins on the motor
        > control boards receive the + and - cables from the power panel?

        Oh, dear....

        > (interesting note: the colors are backwards on the jumper cable
        > with black being positive and red negative!).

        Rule #2 for this kind'a thing: verify which wire is which with knowledge of the components, and by ohm-metering the cable itself if it disappears through the hardware. (there might be a splice in the middle that shuffles colors). In Meade hardware NEVER assume that "black is negative" and/or that "red is positive" (my LX200gps has two cables that head off for the two motor cards... the cables have polarized connectors, so they can't (without effort :) be plugged in "backwards"... but both the plugs and the color codes are "inverted" compared to each other (on one cable red is positive, on the other it's negative... and if you plug the "red is positive" cable into the other connector, you've just made red negative... which would severely bother the motor card at the other end...)

        I also note your question about "which pin is #1" for U2.

        Look at the cylindrical capacitors... they should be labeled identifying their + or - conductor... the - conductor is tied to ground (negative). (see note below)

        Peer *carefully* at the top of U2... you should see two things:
        (a) the printed part number should start with "LM", like LM78L05
        ... the "LM" identifies linear devices, such as voltage regulators
        (b) there should be a tiny dimple in one corner of the device...
        THAT identifies "pin 1". It's an industry-standard method.

        If you don't see BOTH characteristics, it's possible that your board has a different chip-numbering (the "U" numbers) scheme than other cards... that can happen, which is why belts-and-suspenders cross-checking is vital.

        "note below": since i don't have any LX90 motor cards, in checking what Meade uses for voltage regulators, i used a 1244 focuser card.
        It has the regulator, but no cylindrical capacitors.

        good luck
        --dick
        p.s. Rule #1 is "remove the battery or power supply before testing"
        p.p.s. Rule #2 applies to many parts of my car, too...
        (ground in European cars is typically brown. Black can be +12v.)

      • autostaretx
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 15, 2013
          If you could create a folder on the Photos page,
          and put photos of your various cards (both sides)
          we could give better guidance on where to tap the signals.
          If/when you do that, tell us clearly the folder name, and any additional info that the captions may not have.

          On many excursions like this in the Autostar itself, i frequently feed a thin (28 gauge or thinner) strand of wire through one of the appropriate "vias" (the holes that pass signals through the board... and there can be two invisible layers (usually power and ground) hidden between the board's fiberglas layers). If i'm being appropriately careful, i'll tack-solder that wire in place, then just nip the extra off when i'm done. But such soldering has to be very careful: too high a heat will destroy the via, disabling the board.
          I use a tiny-tipped 15 watt iron for that job, and very thin solder.

          One can also buy multi-fingered debugging clips which grab onto all 8 of a chip's leads, with insulating barriers to prevent lead-to-lead short circuits.

          good luck
          --dick

        • barry.bmport@btinternet.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 15, 2013
            Looking at the board with writing up the right way as read (lm7805 near top, left hand pin row has from top: clk, data, OV, +12V i.e 12V is bottom most.(black) The order from the power board is black leftmost. It is probably easier to check for +5V at the 5-pin opto-sensor plug, from left, pins 2 and 4 are +5V. your other 0V probe can go on the minus of the big capacitor left-hand one. good luck!

            --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

            > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "jeffd6633" <jeffd6633@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi, I may have my jumper cables from the power panel to the motor
            > > control boards upside down. Can you tell me which pins on the motor
            > > control boards receive the + and - cables from the power panel?
            >
            > Oh, dear....
            >
            > > (interesting note: the colors are backwards on the jumper cable
            > > with black being positive and red negative!).
            >
            > Rule #2 for this kind'a thing: verify which wire is which with knowledge of the components, and by ohm-metering the cable itself if it disappears through the hardware. (there might be a splice in the middle that shuffles colors). In Meade hardware NEVER assume that "black is negative" and/or that "red is positive" (my LX200gps has two cables that head off for the two motor cards... the cables have polarized connectors, so they can't (without effort :) be plugged in "backwards"... but both the plugs and the color codes are "inverted" compared to each other (on one cable red is positive, on the other it's negative... and if you plug the "red is positive" cable into the other connector, you've just made red negative... which would severely bother the motor card at the other end...)
            >
            > I also note your question about "which pin is #1" for U2.
            >
            > Look at the cylindrical capacitors... they should be labeled identifying their + or - conductor... the - conductor is tied to ground (negative). (see note below)
            >
            > Peer *carefully* at the top of U2... you should see two things:
            > (a) the printed part number should start with "LM", like LM78L05
            > ... the "LM" identifies linear devices, such as voltage regulators
            > (b) there should be a tiny dimple in one corner of the device...
            > THAT identifies "pin 1". It's an industry-standard method.
            >
            > If you don't see BOTH characteristics, it's possible that your board has a different chip-numbering (the "U" numbers) scheme than other cards... that can happen, which is why belts-and-suspenders cross-checking is vital.
            >
            > "note below": since i don't have any LX90 motor cards, in checking what Meade uses for voltage regulators, i used a 1244 focuser card.
            > It has the regulator, but no cylindrical capacitors.
            >
            > good luck
            > --dick
            > p.s. Rule #1 is "remove the battery or power supply before testing"
            > p.p.s. Rule #2 applies to many parts of my car, too...
            > (ground in European cars is typically brown. Black can be +12v.)
            >
            > > Jeff
            > >
            > > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > What power source are you using? Motor Fault error is typically a result of
            > > > poor voltage or perhaps a connector from the power source.
            > > >
            > > > Dr. Clay
            > > > _____
            > > > Arkansas Sky Observatories
            > > > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
            > > > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
            > > > MPC H43 - Conway West
            > > > http://www.arksky.org/

          • jeffd6633
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 16, 2013
              LX90 Motor Drive Problem FIXED! I'd like to thank everyone for their help in tracking down this problem. As it turns out, the jumper cables between the power board and the motor drive boards were connected backwards, resulting in the "motor fault" message on the autostar.

              I swear I'll take pictures of cables before I start pulling them off in the future and thinking that there's only one logical way for them to go back on!

              As soon as these CT skies clear, I'm out there again, one with the universe!

              Thanks again!
              Jeff

              --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "barry.bmport@..." <barry.bmport@...> wrote:

              > Looking at the board with writing up the right way as read (lm7805 near top, left hand pin row has from top: clk, data, OV, +12V i.e 12V is bottom most.(black) The order from the power board is black leftmost. It is probably easier to check for +5V at the 5-pin opto-sensor plug, from left, pins 2 and 4 are +5V. your other 0V probe can go on the minus of the big capacitor left-hand one. good luck!
              >
              > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "jeffd6633" <jeffd6633@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi, I may have my jumper cables from the power panel to the motor
              > > > control boards upside down. Can you tell me which pins on the motor
              > > > control boards receive the + and - cables from the power panel?
              > >
              > > Oh, dear....
              > >
              > > > (interesting note: the colors are backwards on the jumper cable
              > > > with black being positive and red negative!).
              > >
              > > Rule #2 for this kind'a thing: verify which wire is which with knowledge of the components, and by ohm-metering the cable itself if it disappears through the hardware. (there might be a splice in the middle that shuffles colors). In Meade hardware NEVER assume that "black is negative" and/or that "red is positive" (my LX200gps has two cables that head off for the two motor cards... the cables have polarized connectors, so they can't (without effort :) be plugged in "backwards"... but both the plugs and the color codes are "inverted" compared to each other (on one cable red is positive, on the other it's negative... and if you plug the "red is positive" cable into the other connector, you've just made red negative... which would severely bother the motor card at the other end...)
              > >
              > > I also note your question about "which pin is #1" for U2.
              > >
              > > Look at the cylindrical capacitors... they should be labeled identifying their + or - conductor... the - conductor is tied to ground (negative). (see note below)
              > >
              > > Peer *carefully* at the top of U2... you should see two things:
              > > (a) the printed part number should start with "LM", like LM78L05
              > > ... the "LM" identifies linear devices, such as voltage regulators
              > > (b) there should be a tiny dimple in one corner of the device...
              > > THAT identifies "pin 1". It's an industry-standard method.
              > >
              > > If you don't see BOTH characteristics, it's possible that your board has a different chip-numbering (the "U" numbers) scheme than other cards... that can happen, which is why belts-and-suspenders cross-checking is vital.
              > >
              > > "note below": since i don't have any LX90 motor cards, in checking what Meade uses for voltage regulators, i used a 1244 focuser card.
              > > It has the regulator, but no cylindrical capacitors.
              > >
              > > good luck
              > > --dick
              > > p.s. Rule #1 is "remove the battery or power supply before testing"
              > > p.p.s. Rule #2 applies to many parts of my car, too...
              > > (ground in European cars is typically brown. Black can be +12v.)
              > >
              > > > Jeff

            • Alan
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 16, 2013
                That's great!!

                ====================
                Looking Up,
                Alan, W4WMM
                IMLTUG Moderator Team
                30.69° N 88.24° W

> [...]

                > > (b) there should be a tiny dimple in one corner of the device...
                > > THAT identifies "pin 1". It's an industry-standard method.
                > >
                > > If you don't see BOTH characteristics, it's possible that your board has
                > > a different chip-numbering (the "U" numbers) scheme than other cards...
                > > that can happen, which is why belts-and-suspenders cross-checking is
                > > vital.
                > >
                > > "note below": since i don't have any LX90 motor cards, in checking what
                > > Meade uses for voltage regulators, i used a 1244 focuser card.
                > > It has the regulator, but no cylindrical capacitors.
                > >
                > > good luck
                > > --dick
                > > p.s. Rule #1 is "remove the battery or power supply before testing"
                > > p.p.s. Rule #2 applies to many parts of my car, too...
                > > (ground in European cars is typically brown. Black can be +12v.)

                Groups Links

                ---
                Virus Database (VPS): 130216-2, 02/16/2013
                Tested on: 2/16/2013 5:31:30 PM

                ---
                Virus Database (VPS): 130216-2, 02/16/2013
                Tested on: 2/16/2013 5:41:07 PM