Removed corrector plate on lx90 8" and now optics are off. Please Help!

  • antandshell
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
      I was inspecting the inside of my scope after installing a new feathertouch microfocuser. The install went fine but when I looked through the corrector plate with a flash light for the first time I noticed what seemed to be a 1 inch or so blob of with grease near the edge of the primary mirror!

      Had to be there from the factory as i did not add any grease when i installed the feathertouch microfocuser. I carefully marked the corrector plate but after taking it off i noticed mead already had a mark on it so after cleaning off the white grease "yes it was white grease from the factory" with a swab and some homemade cleaner per meads web site 1 part pure isopropyl alcohol, 2 parts distilled water, and 1 drop of biodegradable liquid dish washing soap and then wiped it gently with a Kleenex tissue the grease was gone and the mirror was spotless.

      I re installed the corrector plate in perfect alignment using the marks that Meade left there. All cork pads and shims were in same position..... So my question is how could my optics be off now? I never removed the corrector plate from the housing and i didn't even clean the corrector lens as it was spotless! What could be off?

      I cant check collmination yet as it has been cloudy for a week and i am starting to freak out. I took it out in the day time and the perfect focus I had before is gone. I am at a loss. Please help!!!......
    • P. Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
        How do you know that the optics are "off" if you cannot check collimation?

        Dr. Clay
        _____
        Arkansas Sky Observatories
        MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
        MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
        MPC H43 - Conway West
        http://www.arksky.org/

        >I was inspecting the inside of my scope after installing a new feathertouch
        >microfocuser. The install went fine but when I looked through the corrector
        >plate with a flash light for the first time I noticed what seemed to be a 1
        >inch or so blob of with grease near the edge of the primary mirror!
        >
        > Had to be there from the factory as i did not add any grease when i installed
        > the feathertouch microfocuser. I carefully marked the corrector plate but
        > after taking it off i noticed mead already had a mark on it so after cleaning
        > off the white grease "yes it was white grease from the factory" with a swab
        > and some homemade cleaner per meads web site 1 part pure isopropyl alcohol, 2
        > parts distilled water, and 1 drop of biodegradable liquid dish washing soap
        > and then wiped it gently with a Kleenex tissue the grease was gone and the
        > mirror was spotless.
        >
        > I re installed the corrector plate in perfect alignment using the marks that
        > Meade left there. All cork pads and shims were in same position..... So my
        > question is how could my optics be off now? I never removed the corrector
        > plate from the housing and i didn't even clean the corrector lens as it was
        > spotless! What could be off?
        >
        > I cant check collmination yet as it has been cloudy for a week and i am
        > starting to freak out. I took it out in the day time and the perfect focus I
        > had before is gone. I am at a loss. Please help!!!......

        > Groups Links

      • antandshell
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
          I took it outside in the daytime and i can not get a clear focus of an object i use to train the drives that's about 200 yards away no matter what eyepiece i use. Prior to this i could see the object clear as day with a 10mm Delos.

          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:

          > How do you know that the optics are "off" if you cannot check collimation?
          >
          > Dr. Clay
          > _____
          > Arkansas Sky Observatories
          > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
          > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
          > MPC H43 - Conway West
          > http://www.arksky.org/

        • P. Clay Sherrod
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
            If you took the scope out of a warm house into the cool fall air, the lack of
            acclimation of the optics would likely be the key.
            These scopes require a minimum of one hour (out of direct sun) in order to cool
            to observing temperatures.

            I suspect that seeing conditions during daylight as well as warm optics had a
            great deal to do with what you saw. Your procedure was correct (other than I
            strongly discourage ever spot cleaning the primary) and I doubt that anything at
            all is amiss.

            Try it on the next steady and clear night after the scope has acclimated to the
            outside temperatures.

            Dr. Clay
            _____

          • antandshell
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
              Thanks you Dr Clay. Could this have thrown off the collimation even though I lined up the original marks?

            • P. Clay Sherrod
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2012
                No, not likely. However, that being said, make SURE you do not have the
                retaining ring screws in too tight; you can easily optically distort the
                corrector plate if you have them anything but snug. Once finger tight, no more
                tightening should ever be done.

                Dr. Clay
                _____

              • antandshell
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2012
                  That was my issue. I had them past snug. When i took them off original they felt pretty tight to me so when i put them back i must have tightened them too much. I took the plate back off centered it again and just snugged them down.

                  Then i went out late last night let the scope cool for an hour with the diagonal out and then proceeded to collominate. I was so far off that the rough big donut was off. got that circle as good as i could then went to a dimmer star and higher magnification to get the airy pattern.

                  I got that pretty close to where it should be but it was getting really late so i stopped there. I will continue as soon as i get a decent night. My question is did i damage the corrector plate and how would I know if i did? there are no marks on it but the collomination was way off. I feel like such an idiot!

                • P. Clay Sherrod
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 6, 2012
                    No damage at all....just snug enough to hold in place.

                    Dr. Clay
                    _____