Re: Restricting LX90 slews to avoid "camera crash" ??????

  • leinerd
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 1, 2012
      In preparation for getting an equatorial wedge and a Baader mod for my camera, I just played around with extending my Canon 450D camera out an inch or so from the diagonal prism eyepiece holder. It focuses fine and this allows the mount to just get to 90 degrees with the Meade f/6.3 focal reducer installed. No noticeable effect on the image and no vignetting. The camera will still hit the base if I go beyond 90 degrees but this should not be an issue if I take some care. So the wedge may work out OK after all. I just need to order an extender tube to keep the camera safely mounted.

      Anyone see a problem with this method of minimizing camera crash?

      Thanks.

      --Dave

      --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, Rick Stingle <rick.stingle@...> wrote:

      > I've reviewed the LX90 manual and Google for methods to restrict slewing to
      > prevent DLSR from hitting mount.
      > There must be a way to program slewing "obstructions" into the system.
      > FYI: I'm using an 8" LX90 in polar configuration and a "Prime Focus" Canon
      > 550D DSLR.
      > Any suggestions besides manual slews with eyeballs locked on the mount?
      > Perhaps only the LX200 can be programmed to avoid obstructions?????
      > Respectfully,
      > Rick Stingle
      > zytech@...

    • Fernando
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 2, 2012
        Hi Dave. If everything is firmly attached, I don't see a problem.
        But, are you sure you will not get vignetting, and that the FR will do its job correcting the field?
        I'm not sure which is the right distance for the Meade focal reducer. Mine is the Celestron and the distance between the FR and the chip of the camera needs to be 105 mm. With your projected setup, very likely you will have a distance of 170 mm or even more. And, the diagonal is 2" or the default 1.25"?

        Regards,

        Fernando

        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "leinerd" <leiner@...> wrote:

        > In preparation for getting an equatorial wedge and a Baader mod for my camera, I just played around with extending my Canon 450D camera out an inch or so from the diagonal prism eyepiece holder. It focuses fine and this allows the mount to just get to 90 degrees with the Meade f/6.3 focal reducer installed. No noticeable effect on the image and no vignetting. The camera will still hit the base if I go beyond 90 degrees but this should not be an issue if I take some care. So the wedge may work out OK after all. I just need to order an extender tube to keep the camera safely mounted.
        >
        > Anyone see a problem with this method of minimizing camera crash?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > --Dave
        >
        > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, Rick Stingle <rick.stingle@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've reviewed the LX90 manual and Google for methods to restrict slewing to
        > > prevent DLSR from hitting mount.
        > > There must be a way to program slewing "obstructions" into the system.
        > > FYI: I'm using an 8" LX90 in polar configuration and a "Prime Focus" Canon
        > > 550D DSLR.
        > > Any suggestions besides manual slews with eyeballs locked on the mount?
        > > Perhaps only the LX200 can be programmed to avoid obstructions?????
        > > Respectfully,
        > > Rick Stingle
        > > zytech@

      • John Hilliard
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
          Has anyone accomplished, or even tried, wireless control of their LX-90?

          You may have picked up from the last couple of posts that we use a Mallincam. We typically sit under an rv canopy at a work table and run three cables out to the scope setup about 20' away. There are ways to get my video and camera control done wirelessly, though not without some effort and fine wire soldering...but I still have a scope control cable to worry about.

          Any thoughts?

          John

        • photo_snoopy4ever
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
            Hello John.

            I'm not sure , and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are referring to something like this:

            http://www.weasner.com/etx/autostar/2012/skysafari_android.html

            I've tried and managed to get it working PERFECTLY , so now I remotely control my LX90 with my Galaxy Note ( not too small not to big, so I have the plus of a tablet but small enough to be on my palm and still be able to see a lot of info on the screen ).

            So now I can wirelessly control that scope and I'm very very happy.

            Hope this helps.

            Roberto.

            --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "John Hilliard" <jhilliard4@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone accomplished, or even tried, wireless control of their LX-90?
            >
            > You may have picked up from the last couple of posts that we use a Mallincam. We typically sit under an rv canopy at a work table and run three cables out to the scope setup about 20' away. There are ways to get my video and camera control done wirelessly, though not without some effort and fine wire soldering...but I still have a scope control cable to worry about.
            >
            > Any thoughts?
            >
            > John

          • John Hilliard
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
              Roberto,

              Thank-you for the response. I *think* I was aware of Sky Safari but I do not use a smart phone/tablet device. I would be controlling one other item wirelessly from a notebook computer and was looking for a way to add the scope control to the same computer.

              Thank-you, I do appreciate the reply.

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                John.

                Actually, I think the same process can be applied to a notebook computer.

                So no matter if you use a notebook, you still can use it to control your LX90. Let's say the notebook has no bluetooth, but we can use a USB port to RS-232 cable (ending on a female DB-9) that one you can connectc to a Rs-232 to Bluetooth that can also be paired with the Scope's Rs-232 to Bluetooth adapter, and there you go, it will be as if you were having a cable from your Lx90 to your computer :) , so the principle is the same. I even read that you also can update your firmware succesfully :).

                Hope this helps.

                Roberto

                --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "John Hilliard" <jhilliard4@...> wrote:

                > Roberto,
                >
                > Thank-you for the response. I *think* I was aware of Sky Safari but I do not use a smart phone/tablet device. I would be controlling one other item wirelessly from a notebook computer and was looking for a way to add the scope control to the same computer.
                >
                > Thank-you, I do appreciate the reply.
                >
                > John

              • hendrik_qwertz
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                  Hi John,

                  I am very please with Gene's Bluetooth Adapter -->
                  http://www.astrogene1000.com/products/bt_scope/bt_scope1.htm
                  <http://www.astrogene1000.com/products/bt_scope/bt_scope1.htm>

                  Clear Sky
                  Hendrik

                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                    Roberto & Hendrik,

                    Well, here comes my luddite personality...the list of electronic things I do not understand far exceeds the list of things I do

                    On our remote darker site we do not have a *consistent* WiFi situation where, as I understand it, I could reference a Blue Tooth device to. I know of some that are using wireless transmitters that generate their own signal and do not require WiFi or internet service...AS I UNDERSTAND THESE THINGS...always the great qualifier.

                    First I am going to go over and try and understand Autostar Suite...it has been available to me since 2005 but never tried it...

                    Thank-you both,

                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                      John .

                      Yes that's the beauty of it.. the RS-232 to Bluetooth transmitters don't require any wifi ( I know why you mention that, cause some other option was to use wifi with skysafari). But on this configuration , all you need is to of those converters(transmissors) and probably a USB-To-Rs-232 cable and a Autostar Rs-232 cable and it will be just a mater of connecting those. Don't worry I offer to help you in every step of they way.. :)

                      Regards,

                      Roberto.

                      --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "John Hilliard" <jhilliard4@...> wrote:

                      > Roberto & Hendrik,
                      >
                      > Well, here comes my luddite personality...the list of electronic things I do not understand far exceeds the list of things I do
                      >
                      > On our remote darker site we do not have a *consistent* WiFi situation where, as I understand it, I could reference a Blue Tooth device to. I know of some that are using wireless transmitters that generate their own signal and do not require WiFi or internet service...AS I UNDERSTAND THESE THINGS...always the great qualifier.
                      >
                      > First I am going to go over and try and understand Autostar Suite...it has been available to me since 2005 but never tried it...
                      >

                      > Thank-you both,
                      >
                      > John

                    • John Hilliard
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                        Okay Roberto...

                        I have some more looking around to do and this may take a while but I will remember your offer to help me...it is appreciated but sometimes I am not sure which way is up so be warned.

                        Again, thank-you very much!

                        Oops...do you use Autostar Suite for your software...or the Auto Star hand box?

                        Regards,

                        John
                        Yes that's the beauty of it.. the RS-232 to Bluetooth transmitters don't require any wifi ( I know why you mention that, cause some other option was to use wifi with skysafari). But on this configuration , all you need is to of those converters(transmissors) and probably a USB-To-Rs-232 cable and a Autostar Rs-232 cable and it will be just a mater of connecting those. Don't worry I offer to help you in every step of they way.. :)

                        Regards,

                        Roberto.

                        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "John Hilliard" <jhilliard4@...> wrote:

                        > Roberto & Hendrik,
                        >
                        > Well, here comes my luddite personality...the list of electronic things I do not understand far exceeds the list of things I do
                        >
                        > On our remote darker site we do not have a *consistent* WiFi situation where, as I understand it, I could reference a Blue Tooth device to. I know of some that are using wireless transmitters that generate their own signal and do not require WiFi or internet service...AS I UNDERSTAND THESE THINGS...always the great qualifier.
                        >
                        > First I am going to go over and try and understand Autostar Suite...it has been available to me since 2005 but never tried it...
                        >

                        > Thank-you both,
                        >
                        > John

                      • photo_snoopy4ever
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                          Sure John this kind of thing requires some time, beleive me I do know!, so take all the time you need. You can come up with all the questions you want as often as you consider necessary.

                          I use both Autostar suite, and the hand box, but on the field so far I mainly use SkySafari and autostar hand box (depending on what I want to do ).

                          Roberto.

                          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "John Hilliard" <jhilliard4@...> wrote:

                          > Okay Roberto...
                          >
                          > I have some more looking around to do and this may take a while but I will remember your offer to help me...it is appreciated but sometimes I am not sure which way is up so be warned.
                          >
                          > Again, thank-you very much!
                          >
                          > Oops...do you use Autostar Suite for your software...or the Auto Star hand box?
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > John

                        • John Hilliard
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                            Hendrik,

                            I just took a closer look at the links you provided...

                            It would seem I am in contact with someone that has a good working knowledge of this system.

                            With you and Roberto, I *may* be able to figure this thing out.

                            Thank you for the links...need to read and study and decide how to proceed.

                            Thank-you again,

                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                              Hi All,

                              At Hendrik's suggestion I have been exchanging emails with Astro Gene and he has been very helpful. With apologies, my wife and I have this thing about Smart phones...just one of my many quirks...but learning more from everywhere...we can go the tablet route. Okay, that is maybe a BIG Smartphone but that's different(?).

                              Anyway, as things progress Sky Safari also came up with Gene. As I understand it, this is a planetarium/control app...uh-oh, another of those evil words for us 'App'...that I could then run the scope control from the tablet either by hand box app or Sky Safari?

                              Roberto, you control by Sky Safari...wait a minute, back to the Mike Weasner link (that guy just seems to show up everywhere doesn't he, and has helped me several times in the past.) I watched his video on control...well part of it.

                              Sometimes it takes a while for all to gel and come together in the brain.

                              Thanks Roberto & Hendrik for the input and links...this may all come together. It would really be nice to eliminate that 35' cable I just bought (at least it was not expensive).

                              Regards and Thank-you Again, I'll keep you posted.

                              John

                            • autostaretx
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                                --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "John Hilliard" <jhilliard4@...> wrote:

                                > Anyway, as things progress Sky Safari also came up with Gene.
                                > As I understand it, this is a planetarium/control app...
                                > uh-oh, another of those evil words for us 'App'...that I could
                                > then run the scope control from the tablet either by hand box
                                > app or Sky Safari?

                                "app" is shorthand for "application",
                                which is a synonym for: "program",
                                which can be translated to:
                                "something you buy (or get given) to run in/on your computer"

                                So "Word" is an "app", TaxCut (or TurboTax) is an "app",
                                Internet Explorer (and Firefox and Safari) is an "app".
                                In fact, anything beyond the behind-the-curtain Operating System
                                (gasp: did you hear his sphincters all contract?) that puts something (hopefully useful) on your screen is an "app".

                                Calm down, Breathe easy... everything you do with your PC, Tablet or SmartPhone involves an "app" (or many). (egad! they're everywhere!)
                                So what's one more?

                                have fun
                                --dick
                                p.s. "app" used to kind'a mean a *smaller* application (in terms of how long it took to write, how much space it takes up on the PC),
                                (think: "short story" instead of "novel"), but the distinction has gotten very fuzzy.
                              • John Hilliard
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                                  Hey Dick,

                                  If you have been following this thread...you will realize the limitations of my electronics mental database(?) and we do not own a Smartphone.

                                  Now for some of us...Word or Excel is a "Program" and Sky Safari is an "App".
                                  Realizing when I went through college we used slide rules and electronic calculators were just making an appearance...outrageously priced...and we were not allowed to use them in class. We did have to do a computer program or something of such, but it was on punch card.

                                  You will have to drag me, kicking and screaming into the 21st century...but do not expect me to make it into the second decade of this century for a few more years.

                                  Regards,

                                  John

                                  > Anyway, as things progress Sky Safari also came up with Gene.
                                  > As I understand it, this is a planetarium/control app...
                                  > uh-oh, another of those evil words for us 'App'...that I could
                                  > then run the scope control from the tablet either by hand box
                                  > app or Sky Safari?

                                  "app" is shorthand for "application",
                                  which is a synonym for: "program",
                                  which can be translated to:
                                  "something you buy (or get given) to run in/on your computer"

                                  So "Word" is an "app", TaxCut (or TurboTax) is an "app",
                                  Internet Explorer (and Firefox and Safari) is an "app".
                                  In fact, anything beyond the behind-the-curtain Operating System
                                  (gasp: did you hear his sphincters all contract?) that puts something (hopefully useful) on your screen is an "app".

                                  Calm down, Breathe easy... everything you do with your PC, Tablet or SmartPhone involves an "app" (or many). (egad! they're everywhere!)
                                  So what's one more?

                                  have fun
                                  --dick
                                  p.s. "app" used to kind'a mean a *smaller* application (in terms of how long it took to write, how much space it takes up on the PC),
                                  (think: "short story" instead of "novel"), but the distinction has gotten very fuzzy.

                                • P. Clay Sherrod
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                                    Amazing, isn't it, how those of us who choose to stay "social in the real sense"
                                    and do not succumb to "smart social devices" are chastised and beyond a doubt
                                    are inferior to those whose thumbs are growing by the minute.....

                                    No kicking and screaming here: I refuse to give in to an entire "smart"
                                    technology that is doing nothing but dumbing down civilization.

                                    (this temporarily ends this soap box tirade....)

                                    Dr. Clay
                                    _____
                                    Arkansas Sky Observatories
                                    MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
                                    MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
                                    MPC H43 - Conway West
                                    http://www.arksky.org/

                                    > If you have been following this thread...you will realize the limitations of
                                    > my electronics mental database(?) and we do not own a Smartphone.
                                    >
                                    > Now for some of us...Word or Excel is a "Program" and Sky Safari is an "App".
                                    > Realizing when I went through college we used slide rules and electronic
                                    > calculators were just making an appearance...outrageously priced...and we were
                                    > not allowed to use them in class. We did have to do a computer program or
                                    > something of such, but it was on punch card.
                                    >
                                    > You will have to drag me, kicking and screaming into the 21st century...but do
                                    > not expect me to make it into the second decade of this century for a few more
                                    > years.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    >
                                    > John

                                  • John Hilliard
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                                      Dick & Dr. Clay,

                                      I did not take Dick's note as, well, I took it in the same joking manner as my posts on this subject have been written.

                                      I hope that Dick took my response in the same tongue in cheek manner, actually I was eating a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup at the time, as I *assumed* his was written.

                                      Life is good...I just finished installing a wireless router in the house so now I can actually turn on the Nexus tablet and see how it works.

                                      Regards to All,

                                      John

                                    • photo_snoopy4ever
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                                        John :) wow! you are going fast!!!...

                                        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "John Hilliard" <jhilliard4@...> wrote:

                                        > Dick & Dr. Clay,
                                        >
                                        > I did not take Dick's note as, well, I took it in the same joking manner as my posts on this subject have been written.
                                        >
                                        > I hope that Dick took my response in the same tongue in cheek manner, actually I was eating a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup at the time, as I *assumed* his was written.
                                        >
                                        > Life is good...I just finished installing a wireless router in the house so now I can actually turn on the Nexus tablet and see how it works.
                                        >
                                        > Regards to All,
                                        >
                                        > John

                                      • P. Clay Sherrod
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                                          I knew this was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and thus so was my comment. Some of
                                          my best friends have been devoured by their smart phones.

                                          Dr. Clay
                                          _____
                                          Arkansas Sky Observatories
                                          MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
                                          MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
                                          MPC H43 - Conway West
                                          http://www.arksky.org/

                                          > I did not take Dick's note as, well, I took it in the same joking manner as my
                                          > posts on this subject have been written.
                                          >
                                          > I hope that Dick took my response in the same tongue in cheek manner, actually
                                          > I was eating a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup at the time, as I *assumed* his was
                                          > written.
                                          >
                                          > Life is good...I just finished installing a wireless router in the house so
                                          > now I can actually turn on the Nexus tablet and see how it works.
                                          >
                                          > Regards to All,
                                          >
                                          > John

                                          > Groups Links

                                        • John Hilliard
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                                            Hey Roberto,

                                            Well once we found out, seriously, that we could get around buying a Smart phone by going the tablet route and we did not want to add another to our notebook we use...Astro Gene suggested a tablet that works well with his stuff so we jumped in with both feet.

                                            Of course, now all I have to do is figure out how to operate the tablet...no really.

                                            I did take a closer look at Mike Weasner's posting and clicked on some of the links...one of the items was no longer available but Gene seems to have the situation in hand so....things are okay.

                                            Questions on Sky Safari to follow.

                                            Thanks Roberto...and a Thank-you to Hendrik for the link to Astro Gene...I think we may have run across each other back on MAPUG...long long ago in a Galaxy....

                                            Just babbling here...I need to calm down.

                                            John
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 13, 2012
                                              Roberto,

                                              We had our first outing with Astro Gene's wireless control this past weekend using his hand pad emulation software.
                                              The outing was not very successful but I have a strong feeling that where I positioned the receiver and being unfamiliar with the pressure need for the tablets touch screen were my issues and not the receiver.

                                              I also think that for our new moon weekend setup, my 35' control cable and using the hand box at our work table is our best alternative...I have cables dangling everywhere, 6 on one fork arm and three on the other, so what is one more.

                                              You mentioned using Sky Safari. Is this in the form of an Android App or the Apple Software? I was with some others this weekend and one was using SS on his Apple note book computer and seemed satisfied with it.

                                              Anyway...curiosities and I hate for something to beat me like this. I WILL get it functional...life WILL be good.

                                              Regards and Thank-you,

                                              John

                                              "The Stars are God's Dreams,
                                              Thoughts Remembered