2002-03 lx90 -- EMC or UHTC Coatings?

  • bruce.pech
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2012
      I recently traded my late 90s lx10 (plus cash) for an early 00s lx90.
      The decals on both OTAs read "EMC." However, unlike the lx10, the metal
      rim around the corrector plate on the lx90 says "ultra high contrast." I
      understand that UHTC coatings were introduced circa 2003. Does anyone
      familiar with classic lx90s know whether "ultra high contrast" means
      that the scope has UHTC coatings -- or was it simply a new Meade
      marketing term for EMC coatings.
      As an aside, does anyone know where I can find a new or used corrector
      plate dustcap for an lx90?
      Thanks for your help.Bruce

    • P. Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2012
        The EMC coatings were pretty standardly incorrectly referred to often as "UHTC"
        coatings, even as far back as the classic LX200's; you have the EMC coatings
        unless it is specified on the underside of the OTA on the blue portion.

        Dr. Clay
        _____
        Arkansas Sky Observatories
        MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
        MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
        MPC H43 - Conway West
        http://www.arksky.org/

        >I recently traded my late 90s lx10 (plus cash) for an early 00s lx90.
        > The decals on both OTAs read "EMC." However, unlike the lx10, the metal
        > rim around the corrector plate on the lx90 says "ultra high contrast." I
        > understand that UHTC coatings were introduced circa 2003. Does anyone
        > familiar with classic lx90s know whether "ultra high contrast" means
        > that the scope has UHTC coatings -- or was it simply a new Meade
        > marketing term for EMC coatings.
        > As an aside, does anyone know where I can find a new or used corrector
        > plate dustcap for an lx90?
        > Thanks for your help.Bruce

        > Groups Links

      • bruce.pech
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2012
          Thanks, Dr. Clay. I thought that acquiring an early UHTC scope by coincidence was too good to be true.

          Bruce

          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@...> wrote:

          > The EMC coatings were pretty standardly incorrectly referred to often as "UHTC"
          > coatings, even as far back as the classic LX200's; you have the EMC coatings
          > unless it is specified on the underside of the OTA on the blue portion.
          >
          > Dr. Clay
          > _____
          > Arkansas Sky Observatories
          > MPC H45 - Petit Jean Mountain South
          > MPC H41 - Petit Jean Mountain
          > MPC H43 - Conway West
          > http://www.arksky.org/

        • Del Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2012
            Hi Bruce

            I was researching this question recently - because I wondered if it would
            be safe to put my cruddy corrector plate through the dishwasher :-) .

            One credible source said that the later EMC scopes (including mine) were
            marked as Ultra-High Contrast because they had advanced baffling that was
            supposed to improve contrast and not because of the coatings. So UHC,
            unlike UHTC, has nothing to do with coatings.

            BTW - I didn't put my corrector plate in the dishwasher but I wondered
            about putting a drop of rinse-aid in distilled water for my final rinse
            next time I clean it.

            Cheers
            Del

          • bruce.pech
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2012
              Del,

              Makes sense. My lx10 had EMC decals and coatings but the corrector plate rim didn't read "Ultra High Contrast." If "Ultra High Contrast" doesn't mean UHTC coating and wasn't just marketing newspeak for EMC coatings, advanced baffles seems like a logical explanation for Meade's claim that the new scopes' had higher contrast than older EMC OTAs.

              Rinse-Aid, a drop of Ivory Liquid in an isopropyl alcohol+distilled H2O cleaning solution (Harrington's recommendation), who knows? In my uninformed opinion, a drop of Rinse-Aid probably won't harm the plate.

              Bruce

              --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, Del Smith <del.b.smith@...> wrote:

              > Hi Bruce
              >
              > I was researching this question recently - because I wondered if it would
              > be safe to put my cruddy corrector plate through the dishwasher :-) .
              >
              > One credible source said that the later EMC scopes (including mine) were
              > marked as Ultra-High Contrast because they had advanced baffling that was
              > supposed to improve contrast and not because of the coatings. So UHC,
              > unlike UHTC, has nothing to do with coatings.
              >
              > BTW - I didn't put my corrector plate in the dishwasher but I wondered
              > about putting a drop of rinse-aid in distilled water for my final rinse
              > next time I clean it.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Del

            • Del Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2012
                For what it's worth, here is the Cloudy Nights thread that suggested the
                'marketing' angle.

                http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/876597/page/341/view/collapsed/sb/2/o/all