Re: LX90 tracking accuracies

  • chrishawkins70
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 3, 2011
      Yes the star oscillates about a centre point over a period of roughly 5 minutes. The centre point was moving but we have stopped this by increasing the speed at which the telescope tracks. I will try using the smart drive function on the next clear night (hopefully tonight).

      Thankyou for the help,
      Chris

      --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

      > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "chrishawkins70" <chrishawkins70@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Our biggest challenge is getting the target star to remain stationary
      > > on our ccd. At the moment we are tracking about 15 arc minutes an
      > > hour which still isn't good enough for our needs. We have the
      > > telescope polar aligned but don't have access to an autoguider.
      > >
      > > So what sort of tracking accuracies does everyone else get with
      > > this telescope?
      >
      > Clarify, please:
      > Do you mean that the sidereal rate is inaccurate (so it's 15 arcmin fast or slow at the end of the hour)? This is a tracking rate error, and there's a setting in the Autostar's menu to allow you to add/subtract a percentage of sidereal (0-99.9%) to/from the Autostar's idea of sidereal. If that granularity is still too rough, i have posted a "patch kit" in this group's Files area which lets you control Tracking Rate to 100th of a percent of sidereal.
      >
      > OR do you mean you're seeing an image "wobble" side-to-side (so +/- 7.5 arcmin). If so, that's probably Periodic Error, a consequence of the gearing and "worm thread waver" of the drive. The Autostar's firmware does let you "train" a PEC (PE Correction) curve to allow the drive to (hopefully) predictively tweak the motor rate during sidereal motion. (Meade calls this "Smart Drive")
      > Using that feature may help remove a major proportion of the wobble.
      >
      > good luck
      > --dick

    • Robin Lee
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
        Dear Dick,

        Is it possible to implement periodic error correction for early model such
        as LX90AT?

        Sorry for hijacking the thread.

        May the force be with you,

        Robin Lee
        Author of AstronomyNotes.net

        <http://www.astronomynotes.net>
        Check out my <http://www.shelfari.com/o1515120431>
        Shelfari<http://www.shelfari.com/o1515120431>
        <http://my.linkedin.com/pub/robin-lee/2b/29/237>
        LinkedIn<http://my.linkedin.com/pub/robin-lee/2b/29/237>
        <http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinlkm>
        Flickr<http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinlkm>
        AstronomyNotes.net presents Research at Langkawi National
        Observatory<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/AstronomyNotes/~3/jp2S6U2ciU0/>
        Signature powered by
        <http://www.wisestamp.com/email-install?utm_source=extension&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=footer>
        WiseStamp<http://www.wisestamp.com/email-install?utm_source=extension&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=footer>

      • autostaretx
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 4, 2011
          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, Robin Lee <robin051@...> wrote:

          > Dear Dick,
          >
          > Is it possible to implement periodic error correction for early
          > model such as LX90AT?

          Yes.
          The only two things required are:
          (a) you must be operating in Polar mode
          (b) Autostar firmware version 32Ea or newer (July 2004)

          > May the force be with you,

          Never force the scope, let it move on its own...

          have fun
          --dick
        • chrishawkins70
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 7, 2011
            Hi Dick,

            I have had ago with the smartdrive pec tonight but cant seem to get it to work.

            Have gone into the smartdrive menu, deleted any training sessions that may prevously of been stored, selected train, centred a star, pressed enter and then kept it centred up to 150. However instead of stopping it then started to count down. It did this a number of times before I pressed mode to escape. Have I done something wrong?

            Chris
          • autostaretx
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 7, 2011
              Very Short Answer: i don't remember (it's been YEARS since i did a 497 PEC run).
              What happens if you let it go all the way to zero in that second 150 cycle?

              I seem to remember that (using v43Eg) it just Trained and finally said that it was done. It does take many minutes (24 or so with my ETX90).

              keep at it
              --dick

              --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "chrishawkins70" <chrishawkins70@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dick,
              >
              > I have had ago with the smartdrive pec tonight but cant seem to get it to work.
              >
              > Have gone into the smartdrive menu, deleted any training sessions that may prevously of been stored, selected train, centred a star, pressed enter and then kept it centred up to 150. However instead of stopping it then started to count down. It did this a number of times before I pressed mode to escape. Have I done something wrong?
              >
              > Chris

            • chrishawkins70
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 8, 2011
                I did the cycle twice going from 0 to 150 and back again. It then started to go back up so I pressed mode to exit as the manual suggests it should only take 9 minutes and by this time it had taken nearly half an hour. Will give it another go doing a few more cycles.

                Chris

                --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

                > Very Short Answer: i don't remember (it's been YEARS since i did a 497 PEC run).
                > What happens if you let it go all the way to zero in that second 150 cycle?
                >
                > I seem to remember that (using v43Eg) it just Trained and finally said that it was done. It does take many minutes (24 or so with my ETX90).
                >
                > keep at it
                > --dick
                >
                > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "chrishawkins70" <chrishawkins70@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Dick,
                > >
                > > I have had ago with the smartdrive pec tonight but cant seem to get it to work.
                > >
                > > Have gone into the smartdrive menu, deleted any training sessions that may prevously of been stored, selected train, centred a star, pressed enter and then kept it centred up to 150. However instead of stopping it then started to count down. It did this a number of times before I pressed mode to escape. Have I done something wrong?
                > >
                > > Chris

              • kim_miau
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 8, 2011
                  Dick,

                  Thanks but I failed the first requirement. I operate in altazimuth since I do mostly visual and planetary imaging. :)

                  Cheers,
                  Robin.

                  --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

                  > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, Robin Lee <robin051@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dear Dick,
                  > >
                  > > Is it possible to implement periodic error correction for early
                  > > model such as LX90AT?
                  >
                  > Yes.
                  > The only two things required are:
                  > (a) you must be operating in Polar mode
                  > (b) Autostar firmware version 32Ea or newer (July 2004)
                  >
                  > > May the force be with you,
                  >
                  > Never force the scope, let it move on its own...
                  >
                  > have fun
                  > --dick

                • Alex W
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 10, 2011
                    Sorry to jump in too, but on the PEC training, I never found that to give me a better result (portable rig, permanent might be different)than getting really well polar aligned using drift method. I tried lots and lots of cycles and used Andrew Johanson's PEC editor, but in the end, I made no noticable improvement. Instead, I did a drift align to that I got no drift in 3 or 4 minutes...I was able to get really good 5 minute exposures with my LX90 8", standard wedge and a Skywatcher ed80/DSI II and PHD as the guide rig.

                    That is probably not helpful, but if you are using a guiding program...then maybe rethink PEC if it is a portable rig.....permanent might well be worth it....

                    Rgds
                    Alex

                    --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "chrishawkins70" <chrishawkins70@...> wrote:

                    > I did the cycle twice going from 0 to 150 and back again. It then started to go back up so I pressed mode to exit as the manual suggests it should only take 9 minutes and by this time it had taken nearly half an hour. Will give it another go doing a few more cycles.
                    >
                    > Chris

                  • G. Blanchette
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 10, 2011
                      May be you should try this product made by Peterson Sky division, it could be a good help to solve you tracking problem:http://www.petersonengineering.com/sky/AZ-wt.htm

                      Rgds
                      Gilles

                      Sorry to jump in too, but on the PEC training, I never found that to give me a better result (portable rig, permanent might be different)than getting really well polar aligned using drift method. I tried lots and lots of cycles and used Andrew Johanson's PEC editor, but in the end, I made no noticable improvement. Instead, I did a drift align to that I got no drift in 3 or 4 minutes...I was able to get really good 5 minute exposures with my LX90 8", standard wedge and a Skywatcher ed80/DSI II and PHD as the guide rig.

                      That is probably not helpful, but if you are using a guiding program...then maybe rethink PEC if it is a portable rig.....permanent might well be worth it....

                      Rgds
                      Alex

                      --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "chrishawkins70" <chrishawkins70@...> wrote:

                      > I did the cycle twice going from 0 to 150 and back again. It then started to go back up so I pressed mode to exit as the manual suggests it should only take 9 minutes and by this time it had taken nearly half an hour. Will give it another go doing a few more cycles.
                      >
                      > Chris

                    • Fernando Campuzano
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 11, 2011
                        This is also my case. I have a permanent setup and I've tried several times the
                        PEC training without success. I take guided exposures and the results are worst
                        with PEC ON. Sure I'm doing something wrong with the training procedure but, at
                        least with my scope, the periodic error has a smooth pattern and the guider
                        commands compensate it, so I use to run the scope with PEC OFF.

                        Fernando

                        ________________________________
                        Sorry to jump in too, but on the PEC training, I never found that to give me a
                        better result (portable rig, permanent might be different)than getting really
                        well polar aligned using drift method. I tried lots and lots of cycles and used
                        Andrew Johanson's PEC editor, but in the end, I made no noticable improvement.
                        Instead, I did a drift align to that I got no drift in 3 or 4 minutes...I was
                        able to get really good 5 minute exposures with my LX90 8", standard wedge and a
                        Skywatcher ed80/DSI II and PHD as the guide rig.

                        That is probably not helpful, but if you are using a guiding program...then
                        maybe rethink PEC if it is a portable rig.....permanent might well be worth
                        it....

                        Rgds
                        Alex

                        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "chrishawkins70" <chrishawkins70@...> wrote:

                        > I did the cycle twice going from 0 to 150 and back again. It then started to go
                        >back up so I pressed mode to exit as the manual suggests it should only take 9
                        >minutes and by this time it had taken nearly half an hour. Will give it another
                        >go doing a few more cycles.
                        >
                        > Chris

                      • jskcknit
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 5, 2014

                          Sorry to revive an old thread, but has this ever been resolved?  I have tried running the PEC training on my scope and it seems to just keep cycling without ever completing.  I've read the controller should beep or something when completed, but mine never does.  It just keeps cycling.

                          Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

                          Thanks,

                          Corey

                        • johansea
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 5, 2014
                            Gday Corey

                            What firmware are you running??

                            Some of them no longer stop when training

                            and you have to mode out after it does the reqd no of cells.

                            Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

                          • jskcknit
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 5, 2014

                              Hi Andrew,

                              I have A1F7 running.

                              Corey

                            • johansea
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 5, 2014
                                Gday Corey

                                In that case, the PEC doesnt stop by itself anymore, you have to mode out after 150 bins have been processed.
                                Also, Meade stuffed up the conversion of the code from the classic 497s to the new processors in the 497EP/Audiostars, and in A1F7, this still affects PEC recording and playback.
                                If you grab a copy of the StarPatch loader ( freeware )
                                http://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm
                                and the relevant A1F7 patch from the site, you can update your handbox with the patches we wrote to fix this bug ( and lots more ).
                                Just load starpatch and import the patch file, then you can scroll through it to see what each bit does.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 5, 2014

                                  Thanks for the reply and information.

                                  CM