497EP CONTROLLER WITH MY LX90 SCOPE.

  • ken5150@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 9, 2011
      what gives?
      why don't the software upgrades work with meade's autostar updater? i have had 2 497ep controllers "go bad" on me and have sent them back but i'm thinking that the controllers aren't bad it's meade's autostar updater that is not compatible with it. ok, i might sound like a dummy but i didn't spend $2k on a scope with bad software did I?

      bottom line is that i just want to update my controller online to get the "TONIGHT'S BEST" tour. that's all i want .... i'm really easy. how do i get the tonight's best tour on my controller without it showing up as gibberish on the screen?

      why would meade sell a product for $2k that didnt' work with their autostar updater?

      sincerely, ken drews

      PS, i wish i could talk to someone besides meade's customer service because all they say it's something i'm doing wrong even if i stay on the phone with them through out the entire update process.
    • autostaretx
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 9, 2011
        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "ken5150@..." <kdrews5150@...> wrote:

        > what gives?
        > why don't the software upgrades work with meade's autostar
        > updater?

        That's a complicated answer.
        First, the *firmware* upgrades do work with ASU (i've done it).

        The "Tours" answer is more complicated.
        At worst, Andrew's PEC Editor can pull and push Tours (etc) to the 497EP. Free from http://members.optusnet.com.au/johansea

        I think (i need to go look at my notes) ASU can push Tours to the 497EP, but it cannot "pull" them. So the "Retrieve" button does not work.

        > i have had 2 497ep controllers "go bad" on me and have sent them
        > back but i'm thinking that the controllers aren't bad it's meade's
        > autostar updater that is not compatible with it. ok, i might
        > sound like a dummy but i didn't spend $2k on a scope with bad
        > software did I?

        I could make a weak joke that the scope's software is more or less OK, but that the "free" ASU has issues.
        You should have received Tonight's Best *in* the 497EP.

        > bottom line is that i just want to update my controller online
        > to get the "TONIGHT'S BEST" tour. that's all i want ....
        > i'm really easy. how do i get the tonight's best tour on my
        > controller without it showing up as gibberish on the screen?
        >
        > why would meade sell a product for $2k that didnt' work with
        > their autostar updater?

        That's easier: disjoint development teams with different schedules and mess-ups at low level protocols. ASU was written for a different processor (the M68HC11 used in the 494, 495, 497, LX200gps and RCX400). The 497EP uses a Toshiba chip with different word length and reversed byte-ordering, plus a much larger native addressing capability. That changed the number of bytes available/required to address its expanded capabilities (from 2 or 3 to 4 or 8). ASU still stammers in 2/3. They're working on it (i hope).

        > sincerely, ken drews
        >
        > PS, i wish i could talk to someone besides meade's customer
        > service because all they say it's something i'm doing wrong even
        > if i stay on the phone with them through out the entire update
        > process.

        Ah... (here comes another weak joke) i'll bet you're breathing during the updates. Stop.

        I'll go run a test, and try to post a cookbook step-by-step how to update Tours.
        What operating system are you running, and if it's Win7, is it 32 or 64 bit? What is your serial port? (if a USB adapter, which brand/model)?

        And if you think this is fun, just wait until the "Audiostar" starts getting updates (internally it's a 497EP... plus a sound card)
        http://www.meade.com/astronomerinside/

        good luck
        --dick
      • johansea
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 9, 2011
          Gday Dick/Ken

          A few clarifications

          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

          > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "ken5150@" <kdrews5150@> wrote:
          > >
          > > what gives?
          > > why don't the software upgrades work with meade's autostar
          > > updater?

          As Dick noted, firmware loads work ( but StarPatch is better )
          "User type data" has problems with the current ASU and 497EPs.

          > The "Tours" answer is more complicated.
          > At worst, Andrew's PEC Editor can pull and push Tours (etc)
          > to the 497EP. Free from http://members.optusnet.com.au/johansea
          >
          > I think (i need to go look at my notes) ASU can push Tours
          > to the 497EP, but it cannot "pull" them.
          > So the "Retrieve" button does not work.

          Thats for the LS scopes
          For the 497EP handboxes,
          the current ASU "WILL NOT WORK" with tours in either direction.
          It will read and write "data", but screws it up on the way due to the datasizing and endianness errors.
          It will load comets, satellites, asteroids but there are also subtle errors in that process, and if you then manually add/edit the data via the hbx, it can screw it all up.
          My Editor will read and write all the above data correctly.

          Also, the ASU will not allow you to edit basic user data ( ie name, addr, locations etc), as it just retrieves gibberish.
          If you run patched firmware, my app will also allow this to be edited safely.

          > > but i'm thinking that the controllers aren't bad it's meade's
          > > autostar updater that is not compatible with it.

          You get a blue elephant stamp :-)
          But dont worry ( other than the known bugs ) the tours etc can be loaded and do run in the Hbx firmware.
          My app will not read direct from the net, so you will need to download the tours to disk before attempting to load.

          Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia
        • Tom OR Jean (you decide)
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 10, 2011
            I updated the firmware in my older Autostar a few months ago. It works, but I fail to see any improvement. The old firmware at least grabbed the time and date from the GPS, now I have to enter that manually. Since I rarely travel very far with the scope there is no point in getting the same lat/long information from the GPS every time I turn it on, but the time and date do change.

            If you are sending the Autostar back to Meade for "repair" does it not work when you get it back?

            Tom

            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 10, 2011
              Tom,
              thanks for your input.
              yeah, i've sent 2 497ep handboxes back to meade for "repair" and they have sent me 2 new ones. and to answer your question yeah they work just fine. i guess i should have let well enough be and i SHOULDN'T have tried to update the tours and satellites/ asteroids!!! the tour updates are what screwed mine up again!

              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 10, 2011
                THANKS FOR YOU REPLY DICK!

                --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

                > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "ken5150@" <kdrews5150@> wrote:
                > >
                > > what gives?
                > > why don't the software upgrades work with meade's autostar
                > > updater?
                >
                > That's a complicated answer.
                > First, the *firmware* upgrades do work with ASU (i've done it).

                YOUR RIGHT DICK... THE FIRMWARE UPDATER DOES WORK. IT'S CURRENTLY 5CE1 CORRECT?

                > The "Tours" answer is more complicated.

                YOUR RIGHT.... THAT'S WHAT I'M HAVING A PROBLEM WITH. I CAN'T GET THE GUIDED TOURS UPDATED PROPERLY. I MIGHT SOUND LIKE A NEOPHYTE BUT ALL I WANT IS THE "TONIGHT'S BEST" TOUR... I'M EASY! :)

                > At worst, Andrew's PEC Editor can pull and push Tours (etc) to the 497EP. Free from http://members.optusnet.com.au/johansea
                >
                > I think (i need to go look at my notes) ASU can push Tours to the 497EP, but it cannot "pull" them. So the "Retrieve" button does not work.
                >
                > > i have had 2 497ep controllers "go bad" on me and have sent them
                > > back but i'm thinking that the controllers aren't bad it's meade's
                > > autostar updater that is not compatible with it. ok, i might
                > > sound like a dummy but i didn't spend $2k on a scope with bad
                > > software did I?
                >
                > I could make a weak joke that the scope's software is more or less OK, but that the "free" ASU has issues.
                > You should have received Tonight's Best *in* the 497EP.

                I DID RECIEVE THE 'TONIGHT'S BEST' TOUR IN THE NEW HANDBOX AND I SHOULD HAVE LEFT WELL ENOUGH ALONE BUT I WANTED TO TRY TO UPDATE THE CONTROLLER FOR THE LATEST SATELLITES AND SUCH WITH MORE GUIDED TOURS AND THAT'S WHEN IT ALL GOT SCREWED UP AGAIN.

                SO IN OTHER WORDS I GOT RIPPED OFF BY MEADE RIGHT? THOSE GUYS @ MEADE (ESPECIALLY FRANSISCO) WERE VERY NICE BUT REALLY DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO FIX MY PROBLEM. ONE REPRESENTATIVE ACUTALLY TALKED DOWN TO ME LIKE I WAS A MORON. I DON'T THINK I COULD HONESTLY RECOMMEND BUYING A MEADE SCOPE TO ANYONE AFTER ALL SAID AND DONE. I'M GOING TO MAKE THE BEST OF MY SCOPE AND TRY YOUR ALTERNATE SOFTWARE.. IS IT EASY TO UPDATE THE GUIDED TOURS WITH THIS ALTERNATE SOFTWARE?

                > > sincerely, ken drews
                > >
                > > PS, i wish i could talk to someone besides meade's customer
                > > service because all they say it's something i'm doing wrong even
                > > if i stay on the phone with them through out the entire update
                > > process.
                >
                > Ah... (here comes another weak joke) i'll bet you're breathing during the updates. Stop.
                >
                > I'll go run a test, and try to post a cookbook step-by-step how to update Tours.
                > What operating system are you running, and if it's Win7, is it 32 or 64 bit? I'M RUNNING A CURRENT VERSION OF WINDOWS XP

                What is your serial port? I HAVE IT HOOKED UP TO THE SERIAL PORT. IT'S INSTALLED CORRECTLY ACCORDING TO MEADE. (if a USB adapter, which brand/model)?

                > And if you think this is fun, just wait until the "Audiostar" starts getting updates (internally it's a 497EP... plus a sound card) THAT'S MEADE'S NEW CONROLLER? MAN, IT'S GOING TO BE A NIGHTMARE HUH?

                > http://www.meade.com/astronomerinside/
                >
                > good luck
                > --dick

                THANKS A BUNCH DICK! SINCERELY, KEN DREWS BOSSIER CITY LA

                A FRUSTRATED MEADE CUSTOMER!

              • Ed Kolarich
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 10, 2011
                  I am new to the LX 90 group, and still own a CGE mount that I updated last year
                  with hardware and software updates .Celestron in there updates files do not tell
                  you to upload the hardware first then the hand control. It just happened I
                  called Celestron about a part and asked about downloading the updates , I was
                  told or warned to upload hardware first then hand control . The whole process
                  took the better part of an hour to complete. Good thing I called ....
                  Meade is telling me at first run that the GPS can take 15 to 20 minutes to find
                  itself. Unlike my CGE GPS that works in 30 seconds .
                  Being new to a LX 90 I wonder if this is the case every time you turn it on ?
                  I have not downloaded the 497 updates yet, I want to explore things on the hand
                  control first before I download .
                  I have had one chance to use my 12 inch scope so far it seamed to work rather
                  well after alignment. I only observed one object, the orion nebula, I was
                  pleased the nebula held tracking for 20 minutes in my scope centered for that
                  long . It was a very cold night about 27 degrees outside .
                  I use a Stellacam 3 pelter cooled video cam . If the scope can hold and track,
                  an object for 20 minutes I will be happy with it as it has done the one time I
                  got it out .
                  That is more than enough time for my Stellacam to do its thing.. In fact 30
                  seconds to 2 minutes is enough .

                  Ed

                  ________________________________

                  <clarkrvadventures@...> wrote:

                  > I updated the firmware in my older Autostar a few months ago. It works, but I
                  >fail to see any improvement. The old firmware at least grabbed the time and date
                  >from the GPS, now I have to enter that manually. Since I rarely travel very far
                  >with the scope there is no point in getting the same lat/long information from
                  >the GPS every time I turn it on, but the time and date do change.
                  >
                  > If you are sending the Autostar back to Meade for "repair" does it not work
                  >when you get it back?
                  >
                  > Tom

                • Niall J. Saunders
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 10, 2011
                    Hi Ed,

                    Well, my 10-year old LX90 (8") can GoTo any visible AutoStar object and hold
                    it for 20 HOURS, far less 20 minutes. But, you will need to learn how to set
                    it up (Calibrate Motors and Train Drives are the key points here) if you
                    hope to achieve that kind of success. As for GPS, it really is simply
                    un-necessary, assuming you know ROUGHLY where you are in the world to begin
                    with, and can tell the time to within a minute or so, and assuming that you
                    can correctly identify the key 'guide stars' in the skies overhead.

                    Take your time and get to know your new scope - you will be amazed just how
                    well it can work!!

                    Cheers,

                    Niall Saunders

                    _____

                    yeah, i've sent 2 497ep handboxes back to meade for "repair" and they have
                    sent
                    me 2 new ones. and to answer your question yeah they work just fine. i guess
                    should have let well enough be and i SHOULDN'T have tried to update the
                    tours
                    and satellites/ asteroids!!! the tour updates are what screwed mine up
                    again!

                    --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com <mailto:lx90%40yahoogroups.com> , "Tom OR Jean
                    \(you decide\)"

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 10, 2011
                      Ed,
                      yeah, i wouldn't mess with updating your controller especially if it's brand new and you don't know much about it (like me). that's when all my problems started to occur. your right when i first got my scope it lined up perfectly and the datebase and tours were GREAT! then i updated and it all went to pot.....

                      ken

                      --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, Ed Kolarich <edkolarich@...> wrote:

                      > I am new to the LX 90 group, and still own a CGE mount that I updated last year
                      > with hardware and software updates .Celestron in there updates files do not tell
                      > you to upload the hardware first then the hand control. It just happened I
                      > called Celestron about a part and asked about downloading the updates , I was
                      > told or warned to upload hardware first then hand control . The whole process
                      > took the better part of an hour to complete. Good thing I called ....
                      > Meade is telling me at first run that the GPS can take 15 to 20 minutes to find
                      > itself. Unlike my CGE GPS that works in 30 seconds .
                      > Being new to a LX 90 I wonder if this is the case every time you turn it on ?
                      > I have not downloaded the 497 updates yet, I want to explore things on the hand
                      > control first before I download .
                      > I have had one chance to use my 12 inch scope so far it seamed to work rather
                      > well after alignment. I only observed one object, the orion nebula, I was
                      > pleased the nebula held tracking for 20 minutes in my scope centered for that
                      > long . It was a very cold night about 27 degrees outside .
                      > I use a Stellacam 3 pelter cooled video cam . If the scope can hold and track,
                      > an object for 20 minutes I will be happy with it as it has done the one time I
                      > got it out .
                      > That is more than enough time for my Stellacam to do its thing.. In fact 30
                      > seconds to 2 minutes is enough .
                      >
                      > Ed
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Alan
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 10, 2011
                        Ken, maybe you've already tried this but I would have argued that "their"
                        software is faulty and "it" damaged the Autostar so "they" should have to
                        pay for all!

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 10, 2011
                          Gday Alan

                          Im not taking sides here but we need to determine
                          "damaged" vs "corrupted data"
                          Some 497EP handboxes were definately killed early when the updater put old style 497 firmware into the new 497EP boxes.
                          These had to be replaced.
                          The latest updater ( as far as i have heard to date ) prevents this happening.
                          What we currently have is corrupted data being loaded,
                          and a simple "correct reload" fixes it.
                          Note, even though the 497EP firmware comes preloaded with tours, comets, satellites, asteroids etc,
                          the tours do have some bugs ( no SAO items will work ),
                          the satellites are all out of date,
                          the comets all have eccentricity of zero and
                          the asteroids are all too dim to see.
                          As such, you have to update data if you want to use these functions.
                          Until Meade fix the ASU, they cant "fix" any of this, or supply a "correctly loaded" handbox.
                          Till then, my PEC editor will allow you to do these operations correctly, until enough pressure gets the ASU corrected.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 10, 2011
                            I understand, but it shouldn't cost the customer if it's the company's
                            fault.

                            Alan

                            Im not taking sides here but we need to determine
                            "damaged" vs "corrupted data"
                            Some 497EP handboxes were definately killed early when the updater put old
                            style 497 firmware into the new 497EP boxes.
                            These had to be replaced.
                            The latest updater ( as far as i have heard to date ) prevents this
                            happening.
                            What we currently have is corrupted data being loaded,
                            and a simple "correct reload" fixes it.
                            Note, even though the 497EP firmware comes preloaded with tours, comets,
                            satellites, asteroids etc,
                            the tours do have some bugs ( no SAO items will work ),
                            the satellites are all out of date,
                            the comets all have eccentricity of zero and
                            the asteroids are all too dim to see.
                            As such, you have to update data if you want to use these functions.
                            Until Meade fix the ASU, they cant "fix" any of this, or supply a "correctly
                            loaded" handbox.
                            Till then, my PEC editor will allow you to do these operations correctly,
                            until enough pressure gets the ASU corrected.

                            Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

                            --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <AstronomyW4WMM@...> wrote:

                            > Ken, maybe you've already tried this but I would have argued that "their"
                            > software is faulty and "it" damaged the Autostar so "they" should have to
                            > pay for all!

                            Groups Links
                          • johansea
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 10, 2011
                              Gday Alan

                              My app is free ;-)
                              Other than that, it currently cant be fixed
                              for any amount of money.

                            • ken5150@bellsouth.net
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 11, 2011
                                i did sent my first handbox back and they tried to update it and couldn't. they then sent me a new one which of course i tried to update the tours on the "new" one which of course screwed it up again. by then the warranty had expired....

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 11, 2011
                                  I know I am "beating a dead horse" but I just feel it should not have cost
                                  you anything to replace the Autostar.
                                  You purchased a product that should work, it did...
                                  You attempted to upgrade it which they said you should be able to do.

                                  Stepping down off of my soap box.
                                  ====================
                                  Looking Up,
                                  Alan, W4WMM
                                  IMLTUG Moderator Team
                                  30.69° N 88.24° W

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 11, 2011
                                    Meade is working on ASU to correct the problem.
                                    When that's fixed, it will be able to restore Tonight's Best to the 497EP.

                                    At this moment, a user (Andrew)-written app *can* restore Tonight's Best.

                                    So you've got two FREE ways to resurrect the horse:
                                    You can do it *now* with Andrew's app, or you can do it in the (unknown) future with Meade's ASU.

                                    have fun
                                    --dick

                                    --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <AstronomyW4WMM@...> wrote:

                                    > I know I am "beating a dead horse" but I just feel it should not have cost
                                    > you anything to replace the Autostar.
                                    > You purchased a product that should work, it did...
                                    > You attempted to upgrade it which they said you should be able to do.
                                    >
                                    > Stepping down off of my soap box.
                                    > ====================
                                    > Looking Up,
                                    > Alan, W4WMM
                                    > IMLTUG Moderator Team
                                    > 30.69° N 88.24° W

                                  • kk4df
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 12, 2011
                                      I've tried to load tours to my 497EP with the Meade ASU software, and subsequently removed those tours when they did not work. This might have left some "mess" down in the hand controller, but it seems to still work. I tried your PEC editor software, but it gets an error when I try to reload the master backup file that it seems to read and save.

                                      At this point, I suspect my best bet is to reload the firmware into the 497EP and start over? What are my options? I just don't want to corrupt the controller, since it does operator my LX90 without obvious problems.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Walter

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 12, 2011
                                        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "kk4df" <wewilsonjr@...> wrote:

                                        > I've tried to load tours to my 497EP with the Meade ASU software,
                                        > and subsequently removed those tours when they did not work.
                                        > This might have left some "mess" down in the hand controller,
                                        > but it seems to still work. I tried your PEC editor software,
                                        > but it gets an error when I try to reload the master backup
                                        > file that it seems to read and save.

                                        Please be more specific about *what* error message you're seeing from Andrew's Editor. (i can't see your screen from here). His program tries (unlike ASU) to tread very carefully, so it will warn about things that are not "perfect" (frequently justifiably).
                                        As you surmise, there may be corruption in the 497EP's User area, so just pulling and pushing back the backup won't actually clear it.
                                        Once you have the copy in your PC, Andrew's editor should let you replace the corrupted (or empty) Tours with the original source in the PC copy (available from
                                        http://www.meade.com/support/autotours.html
                                        ), then you can push the new load out to the 497EP.
                                        If the editor complains about some item, expand the marked item and look at the error. Sometimes Meade makes typos that Andrew's editor notices. You can correct the typos and clear the warnings.
                                        (the usual example is that Meade's coordinate converter occasionally uses out-of-range values for arcminutes or RA minutes... you'll see something like 1:80 where it should be 2:20 )

                                        > At this point, I suspect my best bet is to reload the firmware
                                        > into the 497EP and start over?

                                        Reloading the firmware won't help. The ASU firmware-reload process specifically does NOT touch the User Area (such as Tours), since they vary from user to user.

                                        > What are my options? I just don't want to corrupt the controller,
                                        > since it does operator my LX90 without obvious problems.

                                        I'll try to create a copy of *my* User Area (not corrupted by ASU) with Andrew's Editor. I'll email it, or post it to this group's files area. However, that will take a few days due to other commitments.
                                        Andrew may well chime in (he's in Australia, so there's a 12 hour shift between his and our daytimes) with a more step-by-step process.

                                        have fun
                                        --dick
                                      • johansea
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 12, 2011
                                          Gday All

                                          Dick is correct.
                                          My app does not touch ANY firmware areas, and Meades ASU doesnt corrupt firmware when loading tours etc
                                          so firmware reloads are not required.

                                          My editor firstly grabs the raw "user data" from the scope,
                                          so if you saved the full image from an EP unit with corrupted tours, it will read the data out quite happily,
                                          but may well choke when trying to deconvert them.
                                          I am trying to make my app deal with these a bit better,
                                          but some are too far gone to save.
                                          Best solution is a clean load of correct data.
                                          a) Download all the asteroid/comet/satellite/tour files you want into a single directory on your PC
                                          b) Import them into my app and ensure they validate OK
                                          c) Send them to the scope.

                                          Your Hbx should then work correctly for tours etc.

                                          Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

                                          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

                                          > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "kk4df" <wewilsonjr@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I've tried to load tours to my 497EP with the Meade ASU software,
                                          > > and subsequently removed those tours when they did not work.
                                          > > This might have left some "mess" down in the hand controller,
                                          > > but it seems to still work. I tried your PEC editor software,
                                          > > but it gets an error when I try to reload the master backup
                                          > > file that it seems to read and save.
                                          >
                                          > Please be more specific about *what* error message you're seeing from Andrew's Editor. (i can't see your screen from here). His program tries (unlike ASU) to tread very carefully, so it will warn about things that are not "perfect" (frequently justifiably).
                                          > As you surmise, there may be corruption in the 497EP's User area, so just pulling and pushing back the backup won't actually clear it.
                                          > Once you have the copy in your PC, Andrew's editor should let you replace the corrupted (or empty) Tours with the original source in the PC copy (available from
                                          > http://www.meade.com/support/autotours.html
                                          > ), then you can push the new load out to the 497EP.
                                          > If the editor complains about some item, expand the marked item and look at the error. Sometimes Meade makes typos that Andrew's editor notices. You can correct the typos and clear the warnings.
                                          > (the usual example is that Meade's coordinate converter occasionally uses out-of-range values for arcminutes or RA minutes... you'll see something like 1:80 where it should be 2:20 )
                                          >
                                          > > At this point, I suspect my best bet is to reload the firmware
                                          > > into the 497EP and start over?
                                          >
                                          > Reloading the firmware won't help. The ASU firmware-reload process specifically does NOT touch the User Area (such as Tours), since they vary from user to user.
                                          >
                                          > > What are my options? I just don't want to corrupt the controller,
                                          > > since it does operator my LX90 without obvious problems.
                                          >
                                          > I'll try to create a copy of *my* User Area (not corrupted by ASU) with Andrew's Editor. I'll email it, or post it to this group's files area. However, that will take a few days due to other commitments.
                                          > Andrew may well chime in (he's in Australia, so there's a 12 hour shift between his and our daytimes) with a more step-by-step process.
                                          >
                                          > have fun
                                          > --dick

                                        • kk4df
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 12, 2011
                                            The error message reads as follows:
                                            " is not a valid integer value.

                                            So yes, some part of the user data or tour data must be messed up.

                                            --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "autostaretx" <rseymour@...> wrote:

                                            > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "kk4df" <wewilsonjr@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I've tried to load tours to my 497EP with the Meade ASU software,
                                            > > and subsequently removed those tours when they did not work.
                                            > > This might have left some "mess" down in the hand controller,
                                            > > but it seems to still work. I tried your PEC editor software,
                                            > > but it gets an error when I try to reload the master backup
                                            > > file that it seems to read and save.
                                            >
                                            > Please be more specific about *what* error message you're seeing from Andrew's Editor. (i can't see your screen from here). His program tries (unlike ASU) to tread very carefully, so it will warn about things that are not "perfect" (frequently justifiably).
                                            > As you surmise, there may be corruption in the 497EP's User area, so just pulling and pushing back the backup won't actually clear it.
                                            > Once you have the copy in your PC, Andrew's editor should let you replace the corrupted (or empty) Tours with the original source in the PC copy (available from
                                            > http://www.meade.com/support/autotours.html
                                            > ), then you can push the new load out to the 497EP.
                                            > If the editor complains about some item, expand the marked item and look at the error. Sometimes Meade makes typos that Andrew's editor notices. You can correct the typos and clear the warnings.
                                            > (the usual example is that Meade's coordinate converter occasionally uses out-of-range values for arcminutes or RA minutes... you'll see something like 1:80 where it should be 2:20 )
                                            >
                                            > > At this point, I suspect my best bet is to reload the firmware
                                            > > into the 497EP and start over?
                                            >
                                            > Reloading the firmware won't help. The ASU firmware-reload process specifically does NOT touch the User Area (such as Tours), since they vary from user to user.
                                            >
                                            > > What are my options? I just don't want to corrupt the controller,
                                            > > since it does operator my LX90 without obvious problems.
                                            >
                                            > I'll try to create a copy of *my* User Area (not corrupted by ASU) with Andrew's Editor. I'll email it, or post it to this group's files area. However, that will take a few days due to other commitments.
                                            > Andrew may well chime in (he's in Australia, so there's a 12 hour shift between his and our daytimes) with a more step-by-step process.
                                            >
                                            > have fun
                                            > --dick

                                          • kk4df
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 12, 2011
                                              Downloading the asteroids, comets, satellites, and tours first, then importing these into PEC and downloading the LX90 seemed to work fine. Now I was able to do the backup sequence without any errors. Thanks.

> [...]
                                              > >
                                              > > > At this point, I suspect my best bet is to reload the firmware
                                              > > > into the 497EP and start over?
                                              > >
                                              > > Reloading the firmware won't help. The ASU firmware-reload process specifically does NOT touch the User Area (such as Tours), since they vary from user to user.
                                              > >
                                              > > > What are my options? I just don't want to corrupt the controller,
                                              > > > since it does operator my LX90 without obvious problems.
                                              > >
                                              > > I'll try to create a copy of *my* User Area (not corrupted by ASU) with Andrew's Editor. I'll email it, or post it to this group's files area. However, that will take a few days due to other commitments.
                                              > > Andrew may well chime in (he's in Australia, so there's a 12 hour shift between his and our daytimes) with a more step-by-step process.

                                            • johansea
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 12, 2011
                                                Gday Walter

                                                --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "kk4df" <wewilsonjr@...> wrote:

                                                > Downloading the asteroids, comets, satellites, and tours first,
                                                > then importing these into PEC and downloading the LX90
                                                > seemed to work fine.
                                                > Now I was able to do the backup sequence without any errors.

                                                Good to hear ( and your tours should work now as well )
                                                The error you reported earlier came about as silly me expected that if i read a tour from a scope, it would be correctly formatted, hence didnt trap every possible error.

                                                It has been fixed in my later versions, but i havent released that version yet as im playing with other stuff.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 30, 2011
                                                  Andrew... i downloaded your software and tinkered with it a little bit but i'm sorry i'm not a computer programmer. is there anybody that i could call in the US that could explain in layman's terms how to simply "install the tonight's best guided tour" on to my 497ep controller? thanks a bunch! sorry i'm not as computer savy as you guys. i do know a little however and i can catch on quickly.

                                                  ken drews bossier city LA usa cell no: 318 286 5741

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 30, 2011
                                                    Gday Ken

                                                    Lets start simple first
                                                    Do you have a serial cable and can you connect my app and does it find your scope??
                                                    If so, and you only want "Tonights best",
                                                    firstly, download the tonights best tour from Meade and put it in the same directory as my application.
                                                    Once that is done, go to the lists tab and using the menus,
                                                    import the tour into my app.
                                                    It should appear in the tours subtab.
                                                    If its there, just use the "Load Scope" button to send it to the handbox. You get several warning boxes, so just say yes and away it goes.
                                                    There are more detailed instructions in the help file to cover all this,so just press the F1 key and look through it for how to work with tours.

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 30, 2011
                                                      Andrew... yep, got the cable, it recognizes the scope. i've used it a bunch to update the 497ep with autostar.

                                                      is this the file i save to my computer?

                                                      http://www.meade.com/support/auto/AutostarTourFiles/DeepSky/NightsBest.mtf

                                                      if so. you said save it in the same directory as your software right?

                                                      i know this sounds like a stupid question but is your software named MyScope?

                                                      thanks for your patience Andrew. i know i probably sound like an idiot but i'm farily computer savy.

                                                      ken drews

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 30, 2011
                                                        Gday Ken

                                                        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "ken5150@..." <kdrews5150@...> wrote:

                                                        > is this the file i save to my computer?
                                                        > http://www.meade.com/support/auto/AutostarTourFiles/DeepSky/NightsBest.mtf

                                                        Yep

                                                        > if so. you said save it in the same directory as your
                                                        > software right?

                                                        Yep, but you dont have to, its just the first place my app looks.
                                                        When you want to import a file into my app, the file select dialog allows you to look in any directory you want, so if yr comfortable doing that, put the file anywhere you want.
                                                        I just find it easier to have my app and all the latest asteroid, comet, satellite, tour, landmark, user files in one directory for neatness.

                                                        > i know this sounds like a stupid question
                                                        > but is your software named MyScope?

                                                        Yep. It will appear as MyScopeShort.exe on the disk.

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Feb 27, 2011
                                                          I DID IT! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ANDREW! YOUR PROGRAM WORKED GREAT BUT NOW the flash memory in the 497ep controller "locks up" when i try to select different objects.

                                                          do you think i have a bad bunch of memory chips now? i was using batteries but it also malfucntions even with the 120 volt power plug. i bet i fried some memory bank during the times i tried to use meade updater to update my tour files. is there any way to "clean out" the memory banks to make sure i don't have any trash in my "tours" memory banks? i did have a controller "go bad" on me in the past. meade sent me a new one.

                                                          thanks Andrew!

                                                          ken drews

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Feb 27, 2011
                                                            Gday Ken

                                                            --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "ken5150@..." <kdrews5150@...> wrote:

                                                            > I DID IT! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ANDREW!
                                                            > YOUR PROGRAM WORKED GREAT BUT

                                                            There's always a "but"

                                                            > NOW the flash memory in the 497ep controller
                                                            > "locks up" when i try to select different objects.

                                                            Dont know what you mean here????
                                                            What objects does it lock up on??
                                                            My App will only erase and write Flash in the user data area
                                                            ie i dont touch any other internal databases.
                                                            need more specifics.

                                                            > do you think i have a bad bunch of memory chips now?

                                                            There is only one memory chip, that is broken into about 32 pages.
                                                            The user data only uses three of these, so we need to know whats locking up and why.
                                                            It may just be bad data.

                                                            > i bet i fried some memory bank during the times i tried
                                                            > to use meade updater to update my tour files.

                                                            I strongly doubt it. Meades updater corrupted the tour files,
                                                            but wouldnt have corrupted the memory itself.

                                                            > is there any way to "clean out" the memory banks to make
                                                            > sure i don't have any trash in my "tours" memory banks?

                                                            The simplest way is to use "clear all" in my app,
                                                            then import one known good tour,
                                                            and then send it to the Hbx.
                                                            Reboot the Hbx by cycling the power and see what you get.
                                                            This process will erase all current user data,
                                                            rebuild the user data headers and load the one tour.
                                                            See if that works first.

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Feb 28, 2011
                                                              --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "johansea" <johansea@...> wrote:

                                                              > Gday Ken
                                                              >
                                                              > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "ken5150@" <kdrews5150@> wrote:
                                                              > >
                                                              > > I DID IT! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ANDREW!
                                                              > > YOUR PROGRAM WORKED GREAT BUT
                                                              >
                                                              > There's always a "but"
                                                              >
                                                              > > NOW the flash memory in the 497ep controller
                                                              > > "locks up" when i try to select different objects.
                                                              >
                                                              > Dont know what you mean here????
                                                              > What objects does it lock up on??
                                                              > My App will only erase and write Flash in the user data area
                                                              > ie i dont touch any other internal databases.
                                                              > need more specifics.

                                                              the controller goes into "search" mode when i select the next object in the tonight's best tour. it'll search for hours and come up with nothing. i have to shut it down and restart.

                                                              > > do you think i have a bad bunch of memory chips now?
                                                              >
                                                              > There is only one memory chip, that is broken into about 32 pages.
                                                              > The user data only uses three of these, so we need to know whats locking up and why.
                                                              > It may just be bad data.
                                                              >
                                                              > > i bet i fried some memory bank during the times i tried
                                                              > > to use meade updater to update my tour files.
                                                              >
                                                              > I strongly doubt it. Meades updater corrupted the tour files,
                                                              > but wouldnt have corrupted the memory itself.
                                                              >
                                                              > > is there any way to "clean out" the memory banks to make
                                                              > > sure i don't have any trash in my "tours" memory banks?
                                                              >
                                                              > The simplest way is to use "clear all" in my app,
                                                              > then import one known good tour,
                                                              > and then send it to the Hbx.
                                                              > Reboot the Hbx by cycling the power and see what you get.
                                                              > This process will erase all current user data,
                                                              > rebuild the user data headers and load the one tour.
                                                              > See if that works first.
                                                              >
                                                              > Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

                                                              thanks, ken drews

                                                            • johansea
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Feb 28, 2011
                                                                Gday Ken

                                                                --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "ken5150@..." <kdrews5150@...> wrote:

                                                                > > Dont know what you mean here????
                                                                > > What objects does it lock up on??
                                                                > > My App will only erase and write Flash in the user data area
                                                                > > ie i dont touch any other internal databases.
                                                                > > need more specifics.
                                                                >
                                                                > the controller goes into "search" mode when i select
                                                                > the next object in the tonight's best tour.
                                                                > it'll search for hours and come up with nothing.
                                                                > i have to shut it down and restart.

                                                                Thats possible :-), but i havent heard of it recently.
                                                                I need to get a copy of the tour ( i need YOUR copy ) used
                                                                and also the date/time location to test where it dies.
                                                                will PM you my details so you can attach a log.

                                                                Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia